1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cassel traded to Chiefs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 28, 2009.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I'm glad the No. 3 pick isn't included, too, though Cassel is still better than any QB in the draft.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

They drafted Kevin O'Connell from San Diego State a year ago. He might not be ready, but his selection might have been an indictment of Gutierrez (or even Cassel at the time).

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Wrong. You think fans don't pay attention? It was mentioned repeatedly on the first page of the Cassel-to-Chiefs thread on our Bills board. (No, not by me.)

And if Schefter was busy working this story, maybe that explains why he didn't know where Laveranues Coles was for several hours yesterday ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Interesting. So Peter King is making it sound like the Pats sent Cassel and Vrabel packaged together to KC for a second round pick.

Edit: Here's the link.. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/02/28/chiefs.trade.for.cassel/index.html

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Look, without Brady, it doesn't matter who the QB is. Cassel did as well as anyone could have in that spot, and they still were miles short of a Super Bowl team. That's their goal every year, and I honor the Pats for it.
    I also cannot believe they traded their "we know he's healthy" QB and Vrabel to the same team in 24 hours without getting something of more value than a second-round pick, even if its in the 30s overall.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Collusion, Mr. Gee? First thought that crossed my mind.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Love the trade if what PK is reporting is true. Two starters for one pick? Yes, please.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Sell high, that's how you do it. Cassel's trade value will never ever ever ever ever ever ever be higher than it is right now.

Still, this sure makes the Browns' trade of Kellen Winslow for a second-round pick this year and fifth-round pick next year from TB look damn, damn good.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Shit! I love this move for my Chiefs. And let's face it, New England builds its team through the draft better than most.

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

The Patriots now have four picks in the first two rounds, which I'm sure was their goal. If they keep them all, I wouldn't be shocked to see them all spent on defense.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Pioli had a lot to do with that.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This may very well be a rarity in sports, a trade that will benefit both sides.

The Pats get cap room and a first day pick, the kind they would usually turn into a Pro Bowler.

The Chiefs get two starters and still have the No. 3 pick, which they now, no longer have to worry about using on Stafford or Sanchez.

Draft saved Draft deleted