1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cashman to A-Rod: Shut the f^&* up!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AtticusFinch, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I suspect the Yankees told A-Rod to keep his fucking mouth shut about rehab and he didn't. Any GM would be within his rights to go off on an insubordinate employee.

And I can't believe I'm defending the Yankees. I will now light myself on fire.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Strange bedfellows, man. Strange bedfellows. And I do see your point.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

no question that cashman reacted in george steinbrenner 'cause the yanksvhave had it with a-rod's b.s. and they're not going to stand for it anymor.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How are they not going to stand for it? They're going to pay him his $30 million to do nothing or be an average third baseman at best, right? I mean, really, even if he takes to Twitter again today there's no recourse for them.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know it will never happen, but I would love it if the Yankees cut A-Rod because he was linked again to PEDs and make him sue to get his $$$.

6. LongTimeListener

He wouldn't have to sue. Or maybe he would, but it would be the easiest lawsuit in history. His contract is guaranteed.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder which players have language in their contracts that protect them from this kind of thing. When Giambi admitted (sort of) that he had used, I remember reading something that implied that he could be cut loose, but likely wouldn't be.

I wonder if there is anything A-Rod could do where the Yankees could cut him and not have to pay him his contract.

8. LongTimeListener

I remember that Giambi stuff too, but I think it came out a few days later that it was wishful self-serving Yankee bullshit and they were going to have to pay the whole goddamn thing with a smile. Same as this case -- they got nothin'.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Here's a thought: Is there any way they can just send him to the minors and keep him there permanently? Even if they would be paying him $30 million to be the Charleston Riverdogs' third baseman.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's interesting to me that Cashman didn't react this way (at least publicly) when Granderson and Jeter both made similar pronouncements early in the season.

11. LongTimeListener

Kind of interesting -- Cashman's quote was specifically in response to Marchand's question about how he wanted to be quoted on the record. Then he hung up.

http://frontrow.espn.go.com/2013/06/yankees-executives-newsworthy-quote-to-espnny-com-reporter-about-a-rods-status-how-it-happened/

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Can they Keyshown ARod?

Draft saved Draft deleted