1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Casey Anthony arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Why do police release this info to the public before trial? How is this not considered poisoning the potential jury pool?

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I concur. And if I read the CNN article right, it sounds like his testimony goes toward supporting the case to convict his daughter. So, not only have they lost their granddaughter, but they're also going to lose their daughter for the most part when she gets sentenced to life in prison.

Really heartbreaking. Something no parent or grandparent should ever have to suffer through.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know her lawyer is trying to put on the best defense possible, but it's ridiculous that he refers to her as a 'child'. She's 22, for crying out loud!

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

"Children" don't enter hot body contests.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was just about to post that exact quote. Her fucking lawyer needs to have his teeth kicked in for that comment.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

That's an excellent question. There seems to be no valid reason for releasing much of the information except to increase the public's sense of anger toward Casey and her family. I could understand if the information was being used to help in the search of someone, but that never appeared to be a valid exercise in all this.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

You would think so, qtlaw. But with my family, sometimes, you never know. With them, sometimes, expecting is one thing and receiving is another.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Utility worker found a bag containing a child's skeletal remains this morning a quarter-mile from the Anthonys' home.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/orl-bk-caylee-anthony-body-121108,0,4622128.story

9. Hope the whole damn lot (mom, grandma and grandpa) get what they deserve.

Florida IS a death penalty state. :)

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I believe the prosecutors have said the death penalty is off the table, which is fine. She can spend 60 years rotting in Lowell or wherever the women's prison is now.

11. It is a shame its off the table. If she spends the rest of her life in prison, I can live with it.
    I hope the grandparents (especailly grandma!) get some jail time as well.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This from a spokesman for Anthony's attorney:

This is a child's decomposed body, it's sad either way, you moron.

I haven't followed all the details of this case, but why would the grandparents be charged with anything?

Draft saved Draft deleted