1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Casey Anthony arrested

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Casey Anthony behaved like a carefree party girl, going to nightclubs, entering "hot-body" contests and incessantly sending text messages to her friends while her daughter was missing, according to cell phone and text transcripts and investigative reports released by police.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/10/14/caylee.grand.jury/index.html

I want to feel vengeance, but really all I feel is sadness that someone could actually do something like this to her own daughter (allegedly, but the evidence is awfully damning).

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Casey's a liar and not a very good one at that. I think this is going to come to a point where she realizes she'll never again see the outside of a prison for the rest of her life, and to get some sort of a reduced sentence, she'll give the prosecution the information it wants.

Quite the tragic story, however.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I am a pretty vengeful guy when it comes to children being victimized.

So, I hope she meets up with Jeffrey Dahmer's broomstick.

But, really, when it comes down to it, there is a brain defect in play. No one could hurt a child and revel in its aftermath, without damage between the ears.

But, I don't believe people should be able to be absolved of responsibility for their actions, no matter what. Your actions, simply, are who you are.... to me.

4. I think I'm coming from the, "Nothing could bring this child back or turn back time so this didn't happen" camp. There's just nothing - the death penalty (which I don't believe in), life in prison, Jeffrey Dahmer's broomstick - that somehow lessens what happened. Not to get too philosophical, because I think this all falls under the heading of one of the Big Questions, but I think that the pursuit of vengence essentially is a sucker's quest.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Be careful there... incarceration is vengeance, too.

6. I included that. But I guess in a perfect society, incarceration's purpose is simply twofold: 1. Removing someone from a society when they don't play by the rules of that society and 2. Rehabilitation.

I also realize that human nature is what it is, and people hunger for punishment to be part of this. They think it will make them feel better. I imagine that it really does not. If anything, it cheapens what the victim has gone through, whether that's being murdered, raped or "just" robbed. And if a victim wants vengence, then that victim is debasing him/herself in a way.

Of course, we all know how well "rehabilitation" works in the American prison system.

I'm hoping to crystallize a lot of my point of view on this during law school.

The bottom line for me is that no matter how much I root for Casey Anthony to meet her maker, it is no subsitute for me for figuring out how a mother/party girl could possibly do something this heinous. I cannot fathom the psychology that leads to that. And lethally injecting her doesn't act as a substitute for me where that puzzlement is concerned. Nor does life in prison.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Be careful there... incarceration is vengeance, too.
    [/quote]

Of course, we all know how well "rehabilitation" works in the American prison system.

And lethally injecting her doesn't act as a substitute for me where that puzzlement is concerned. Nor does life in prison.
    [/quote]

Feel free to come up with a better solution to dealing with murderous people.

8. Of course, we all know how well "rehabilitation" works in the American prison system.

And lethally injecting her doesn't act as a substitute for me where that puzzlement is concerned. Nor does life in prison.
    [/quote]

Feel free to come up with a better solution to dealing with murderous people.

[/quote]

Hondo, I'm not saying there is a better solution. It's what you have to do. My solution - somehow get us to the point where we don't have murderous people anymore. Fat chance of that, right?

What I'm saying is that locking her up doesn't make me feel better about what happened. There is absolutely no justice in situations like this, only sadness.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Watching from afar, she sure seems guilty of something.
    Murderer, accessory ... something

10. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Finally!!! I kept wondering how long it would take Orlando PD to decide that there was enough evidence to arrest her for the little girl's death (even though they had hauled her in a couple of times before for other charges related/unrelated).

I do not have a lot of sympathy for her parents, particularly when they defended her, even if that might be understandable to some (although, privately, in the confines of the home, her parents probably tried to get her to admit where Caylee was).

The only thing I feel sorry for the Anthonys about, aside from losing a grandchild, is the abuse they have had to put up with from a mob outside their house. Some of those people, although justified in their anger of the situation involving Casey, seemed over the top in their venom toward her parents.

Must have made living in that neighborhood a fun time for all.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But what will Nancy Grace talk about now?

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I empathize with her parents. Of course they are going to protect her to the best of their ability, she's their daughter. If nothing else. a parent's natural instinct is to protect their offspring, no matter what. I'm sure you would expect nothing else from your own parents.

Draft saved Draft deleted