1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Case of the (Re)Runs: Emergency!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, Feb 24, 2011.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

It's the Retro Television Network - In Detroit, it's the "second" channel for the ABC affiliate.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Something I did not know until looking it up now -- Roy from Emergency! was Nick's (Jason Segel) hard-ass father on "Freaks and Geeks."

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I remember not seeing or hearing about Kevin Tighe for a few years after Emergency ended, until she showed up playing one of the conspirators on "Eight Men Out." I've seen him fairly consistently in TV guest spots and small movie roles since.

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

That's Tim Donnelly. MST3K fans might remember him as the lead character, Richard, in "Parts: The Clonus Horror."

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

The first time I saw "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" I thought, holy shit, that's Roy DeSoto. Alas, where was Roy DeSoto when Roy DeSoto needed him?

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Nice to see the shout out for Cannon on the thread. I barely remember it when it was first run but saw every episode on repeats on one of the local channels on every weeknight at midnight.

I loved everything about Cannon, his incredibley ignorant car, the fact he was some sort of gourmet, and of course the Cannon "Karate chop" that would knock out his foes.

It seemed every episode of Cannon had some low-life insult him about being fat only to get his cummupenance by the end of the show. I don't know if I am mis-remembering but I swear there was an episode where Cannon chased a guy down on the beach to give him the chop.

Also was a big fan of Mannix and Hawaii 5-0.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I don't think this is the episode, but this is still one of the greatest, most intelligent debates on the issue of legalizing drugs I've ever seen. The episode title is "The Big Prophet."
    It's Joe Friday vs. an alleged LSD dealer. They just go back and forth for 20 minutes, each one making valid points. A riveting episode that's still not only relevant, but dead-bang on, more than 40 years later. That alone is enough to make you feel like we're spinning our wheels on the whole issue.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/15137/dragnet-the-prophet

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Emergency! tried to spin off a show about animal control officers in the same way. One of the animal control guys was Mark Harmon, in probably his first acting job.

EDIT: Found it! Check out these extended credits to the Emergency! episode in question. :D

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

He also played Tillman, owner of the Double Deuce, in Road House.

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

In a more forgettable role, I think he was also the bad guy in "K-9."

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Tighe was also in the excellent Matewan.

12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Great movie. Now I need to watch it again just for Tighe-spotting.

Draft saved Draft deleted