1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cartoons

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Sep 20, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He-Man should be getting some love, here.

2. Sandoval

Sandoval Member

Amen to that. Can't believe I forgot the Smurfs. Another one of my all-time favorites growing up, but haven't thought about them in probably 15 years at least. What about the more "modern" (for the early-mid 80s) action cartoons? Stuff like Transformers, Voltron and He-Man. I think half my worldly possessions for a few years centered around those three.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i proudly wore no. 5 in soccer as a snot-nosed kid because of speed racer so damn that ktvt channel 11 ... and, oh yeah, mmmmmmmm, trixie!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Another vote for Batman: The Animated Series. No actor ever captured Batman the way Kevin Conroy did with his voice from 1992-2006, at least not until Christian Bale.

Beautifully illustrated series as well, at least at the beginning. I remember seeing how they drew on black paper, something that helped lend the perfect tone to the series.

The X-Men series from '92-'97 was another favorite of mine. Brought me back to comics and sparked a boost in popularity that helped bring about the movies.

I was always more into the action stuff, like Herculoids and every version of Spider-Man, including the ridiculously corny one with Iceman and Firestar.

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

No love for the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on this board?
    Sad.
    And what about fraggle rock?
    I love me some fraggle rock.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fraggle Rock wasn't a cartoon.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As you might guess, my list right now starts with Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law.

I and my siblings were huge Tom and Jerry fans growing up. I believe the first one I ever saw was "The Flying Cat", and I was hooked from that point on. We had about 50 of the things on three videos we got from grandparents that we would watch a lot.

All of the Warner Bros. characters were great. I love Bugs, especially the Bugs/Daffy/Elmer Duck season/Rabbit season shorts. Someone mentioned "Bunny of Seville." I'd also nominate the extended Bugs cartoons with Rocky and Mugsy. Bugs' character was called Elegant Mess. Loved the little wordplay.

Now, it's more like the Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, Venture Brothers, Robot Chicken, Metalocalypse, Lucy the Daughter of the Devil, Sealab 2021, Frisky Dingo, ATHF and The Boondocks.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Yeah, Tom and Jerry was right up there with Bugs Bunny.

I especially liked Bugs when he was up against Marvin the Martian.

And the old Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies had some classic stuff.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Game. Set. Match.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That reminds me. I think Batman came on at 4 p.m.. followed by C.O.P.S. I don't remember a whole lot of the show, but I really dug it back when I was a kid.

Also, I grew up on Tiny Toons and The Animaniacs. Those were some damn good cartoons, in my opinion.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Futurama's my favorite prime-time cartoon, Animaniacs are my favorite daytime cartoon, and there's few that I'd categorize as bad (though like Bubbler, I cannot wrap my mind around the Japanese stuff, be it Poke/Digi/Fuckyoumon or anime). Family Guy's overrated, especially since it came back, but I'd still watch it over most of your live action sitcoms. Clerks: The Animated Series and Mission Hill deserved so much better.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I own the Clerks cartoon DVDs, and they are pretty good. I don't think it ever would have been long-lasting, but six episodes was way too short a life.

Draft saved Draft deleted