1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carry-on fees? Bah! We'll charge you for going to the bathroom!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SixToe, Apr 7, 2010.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Zag. You miss my points and that's fine. I don't think basic comfort services should be a charge such as restrooms on planes. But pay toilets are common in Europe. So I'm sure this is no big deal to them.

My whole point on this is that the between the low cost carriers and the public clammoring for unreasonable low fares ala carte pricing is here. And you're going to have to cope.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Good point about the pay toilets in public and how they're use to it. I forgot how annoying those were. Also, it says this would only be in effect on flights an hour or less. If you go to the bathroom before you get on a 40 minute flight, you should very well be able to hold it until you get off the plane.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The one guarantee I made to my wife was that "You will never have to pay to use the restroom in this country."

So far I have been proven right.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Assuming you don't have bladder problems or some other internal issues or assuming you don't have the runs.

And ByDesign - I get your point and here is how I cope - I went from a guy who regularly logged hundreds of thousands of air miles annually to a guy who drives anything reasonable and relies a lot more on e-mail, teleconferencing and even videoconferencing and only fly if I absolutely have to because it is such a pain in the ass.

And that is the problem with the airline industry - they've made it almost impossible to want to fly.

Further, the whole a la carte shit is false advertising in my book -- don't tell me that my flight costs more than someone elses because I have some bags and they don't and don't tell me the flight costs $200 roundtrip when it is really $260 because I have to check a bag both ways.

Just charge me $260 and let me get on with my life.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Don't take her to Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do they have Taco Bell at the Belfast Airport?

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Airline A offers a route for 200 and no bag fees; Airline B offers same routing for 150 with $25/bag each way.

Same price? No to a consumer that is looking at a travel site. They're going with B because it seems like a better deal even if it's the same.

So A does the same thing. It's how we got here.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice... but the correct answer was "White Castle"

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Generalize much?

I recently booked the outbound plane for my fiancee and I for our honeymoon to Vegas (Haven't booked the return flight because we haven't decided where we're going to end our trip yet).

Normally, I go to Priceline for everything but since I'm only booking the flight (Hotel's been paid for as a wedding gift and I'll get the rental car later), I chose Southwest because, quite simply, the bags fly free.

When I book these types of things, I look up which airlines charge and which don't because, frankly, I'd rather pay $200 up front than pay $150 for the flight and be told "Oh, sorry, it's an extra $50 to bring stuff".

F*ck the airlines that think this pricing model has a shelf life.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

This price model has been here for a while so I see the shelf life on charging for bags being quite long.

It will be interesting to see if/when SWA starts to charge as well.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

At least RyanAir makes its fees easy to find on its Web site. Besides which, no one who uses that airline goes into the experience blind. You know good and well what you're getting and, more importantly, what you're not.

And unlike airlines in the U.S., which still charge several hundred a ticket, then tack the fees on as well, RyanAir's tickets, if you buy them at the right times, are a few pounds/euros.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I wonder if they'll charge you to use the in-flight garbage bags. If not, time to bring diapers. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted