1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carry-on fees? Bah! We'll charge you for going to the bathroom!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SixToe, Apr 7, 2010.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Irish airline considers charging to use the loo and may remove some to add seats:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/07/ryanair.lavatory.fee/index.html?hpt=T2

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Now that's yellow journalism.....

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They're going to have a lot of pissed off customers.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a great Alaska Airlines ad from the late 1980s.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think People Express did something similar during the 1980s.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

This is just another publicity stunt by O'Leary.

Flying RyanAir is not a pleasant experience. No window shades or seat back trays. Flight Attendants doing the hard sell to drive revenue. No check in person, on-line only in some airports. Pay extra for everything.

He has said that he wants to offer free flights and make money on the ancillary charges.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

they pretty much do... i flew ryanair from LGW to DUB last year and the actual ticket cost 2.5 pounds each. That's confirmed.

Tack on the fees and everything else, I ended up paying around 79 dollars each (ridiculous, yes).

The flight was fine, but no frills for sure. got a kick out of the attendants hardselling lotto tix and the like.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Guess I'd have to bubble and squeak into an air sick bag.

what do they charge for one of those?

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Do they lose people's luggage?

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You can avoid the fees if you work at it, but it's not easy. The debit/credit card fees are the most obnoxious. £5 per segment, which the EU says has to be included in the fare if it's unavoidable. So RyanAir makes it free for holders of one particular type of card that virtually no one has. I think it's a MasterCard prepaid debit card or some such now.

It's not comfortable, the selling is annoying and they tend to use airports in the middle of nowhere. But the price is damn good. There's a £9.99 fare sale on now, and that's high. Usually the sales are £5.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

All of you should just be damn happy there is even a bathroom on any airplanes so shut up, stop whining and pay the fucking fees. [/bydesign77, airline customer service expert]

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's a good price worth some discomfort.

Draft saved Draft deleted