1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carrolton, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, May 18, 2007.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I started out in LaGrange, which is not far from Carrollton and I'm pretty familiar with the area. It's a nice town with great preps (Carrollton High being a big-time power in Georgia h/s football) and a nice university with football to boot.

It's close to everything (ATL, Birmingham) and every interaction when I was at the LDN with the staff was extremely positive. The folks I talked to there seemed pretty happy.

As for the starting out bit, of course you don't start out of school making $35,000 covering a major beat. You have to pay your dues. I know it's a tired canard, but it's the truth. Besides, there are good stories to be found at that level.

Besides, as stated earlier, the rents are cheap in town and that football stadium has to be seen to be believed. I covered LaGrange vs. Carrollton back in '03 and it was one of the best defensive contests I've ever seen, won by the Grangers 7-0.
    Excellent facility. I think the Trojans won a title pretty recently.

This is an excellent opportunity for a newbie aiming to get his feet wet in the biz.

2. PageTurner

PageTurner New Member

Boots must have been talking to one of the disgruntled "throwaways". Things haven't changed that much from what Rico states. Same occasional random interference but for the most part the sports department runs itself. Only difference is that deadlines are tight at times on the orders of the publisher but thats because they are printing several papers there now.Have to keep the presses running smoothly despite game endings. That's a money decision and not anything the ME dictates. You are not micromanaged at all in sports. Financial recognition in the way of annual increases aren't always distributed fairly on merit and that's your cue to look elsewhere.

3. Fnerry

Fnerry New Member

If anyone knows how the sports section of the Times-Georgian is managed, it's me. I've managed the section for the past year and a half. It's time for people who don't even live in the area or know much about the paper to stop acting as though they do. I see that time and time again on this board. Boots is not a credible source to listen to on this. And even if he has 'insider information,' it's obvious it does not come from a credible source.

My section was never micromanaged. Deadlines were pushed up when the new publisher got settled and of course, I was told by the ME that I had to run hand-in photographs because that's what the paper has always done, but other than that, I've been left alone. I have my own creative freedom and ability to delve into any topic I want to. It's a great place to get creative once you get the hang of it.

There are great high school teams in the area that often make it deep into the state playoffs. We had three baseball teams in the Sweet 16 and now one in the Elite Eight.

Please only comment on papers you really know accurate information on.

4. PageTurner

PageTurner New Member

Well, that should put that Carrollton(Times-Georgian) negativity to rest!! No more "inside information" needed(which by the way usually comes from people who 'think' they know). Sounds like the two past sports editors have concurred on the freedom they are/were given from the ME to run the sports department. Now if you don't know your stuff ,I'm sure you'll be "managed" but who do you blame for that? Sounds like the two past editors were great hires or they wouldn't have been given that freedom. So anyone looking for a job should not shy away from this opportunity.

5. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

Boots the sexual intellect was wrong on something and doesn't have any credibility. SHOCKER there.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i sooooooooo don't believe you. :D

7. boots

boots New Member

I don't know if they were disgruntled. The people I know had a problem with management. That's really all that I have to say about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted