1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carrolton, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Methodtomymadness, May 18, 2007.

1. PageTurner

PageTurner New Member

Well written with knowledgeable content!

2. blandcanyon

blandcanyon Guest

What's the gig in Athens? Haven't they been looking for somebody for something for a little while?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

they might have been, but who knows?

4. PageTurner

PageTurner New Member

That particular one was filled. Another came up due to a personal move but Athens doesn't have to post for jobs;they know who is in the pool and scoop them up.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

is the man ass man answering his own posts again? schiz.

6. A couple of other comments/clarifications on the ad:

The ad calls it a "progressive" county. The ME there always uses that in job openings. Like I said, the people there are great ... nice as can be for the most part ... a friend of mine when I worked there was from New Jersey and he always felt welcomed; they don't hate "yankees." But if you're thinking progressive in terms of politics and that sort of thing, well, it ain't. The only areas in North Georgia I can think of that could truly be called progressive would be the city of Atlanta and parts of DeKalb County (Decatur), Clayton County and maybe south Cobb County. I guess you could liberally use the word progressive to describe Carroll County if you were talking about a few political science professors at UWG or something! They have a new cultural arts center ... maybe that makes it progressive. I don't know.

And yes, it's a self-sustaining county, which is a way of saying that they're not really part of metro Atlanta (though they are technically included in the Atlanta statistical area). They have a big wire manufacturing company where a lot of people work and a livestock auction (ie. lots of farming and open land).

Just wanted to clear up those things. All papers I suppose try to exagerate their ads to some degree, but I've seen this "progressive" BS a few too many times. That said, I really did enjoy my time there and I will reiterate that this is not the MDJ; the ME and publisher are hands off on the sports department (or were during my tenure) and you can do some good work there to get noticed and move up the food chain while there's still a food chain left!

7. boots

boots New Member

They are not completely hands off.

8. You lost me? Are you thinking of something in specific? The old publisher never said more than 10 words to me the whole time I was there (he's now gone ... I was there under the current publisher a few months and he was more friendly ... 10 words a day maybe ... but nothing regarding the sports section ... just, "How's it going?" type small talk) and the ME might make a minor suggestion/complaint once a year. The rest of the time it was the SE and the writer putting out the sports section 6 days a week with no input aside from the ocassional bitchy parent. That's my definitiion of hands off. What's yours?

9. boots

boots New Member

Without outing, the picture has change slightly since you were there.

10. I'll take you at your word, but I still keep in touch with people there and haven't heard anything that suggests the hands off policy has changed in any dramatic fashion. I remember talking to you a few years ago and trying to help a friend of yours get on with some of the papers around Atlanta. Apparently he ended up working a several different papers in Georgia, but I'm sure Carrollton wasn't one of them.

11. boots

boots New Member

No I don't think he worked in Carrollton and he's not the person involved in this.

12. Then I stand corrected by boots. He apparently has some insider info or maybe he actually is the ME. I know all of three people left on the editorial staff with Fnerry leaving (out of 14 I think, including their weeklies unit and the ME himself) and I've been gone a year and a half. But like I said, I have kept in touch with the few folks I know working there and no one has said anything about the ME or publisher becoming overly involved tirants in the sports section. It's had a history of being a hands off department going back to the mid 90s at least; I know/knew my predecessors back to around 1995 (both of them left for bigger papers, BTW) and they always felt that way about the ME being hands off. I will say everyone else I worked with has bailed/moved on to better things since I left. Take what you want from that. I said up front, it's not a place you want to stay forever. But the ME has been there forever and he'll be there forever, so you get what you get from the guy. As long as you're not dropping f-bombs into copy, he's not going to say much to you other than the ocassional suggestion so he feels like he's doing his job. Otherwise, I can't speak to the people there now, just the job, which I enjoyed when I had it.

Draft saved Draft deleted