1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carrie Fisher, then and now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Some people don't even get the excuse of hard drinking and barbituates.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A photo comparison showing how hot Carrie Fisher used to be that doesn't involve slave Leia's metal bikini? Disappointed, I am.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Fisher did a segment of her "Wishful Drinking" show on Broadway on being hot when she was young (and when people are supposed to be hot) and now. It was hysterical, as was the whole show.

She's led one helluva life.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I was expected a metal bikini photo when I saw the title of this thread, also, but she looks sexy as hell in the "then" photo Smasher posted.

5. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

I don't think hell looks very sexy.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Old is the least of her issues.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Young Uecker looks like the Will from Glee.
    [​IMG]

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Has SportsJournalists.com aged well?

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

She's been very open about her struggles:

http://www.boston.com/ae/theater_arts/articles/2008/10/04/im_pretty_sane_about_my_insanity/?page=1

She laughs and flutters her eyelids, which are painted with glittery eye-shadow. Fisher is excited and exhausted. But she's happy to be here, she says, and credits ECT - electroconvulsive therapy, otherwise known as electric shock treatments.

She just had a round a month before her Hartford engagement.

"Electric shock therapy," she says, leaning in, as if telling a secret. "If there's a depression that you are having that you can't get through easily . . . It was [expletive] fantastic."

What does Electroconvulsive Therapy do?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/electroconvulsive-therapy/MY00129

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a procedure in which electric currents are passed through the brain, deliberately triggering a brief seizure. This seems to cause changes in brain chemistry that can alleviate symptoms of certain mental illnesses. Yet 70 years after it was first introduced, electoconvulsive therapy remains controversial.

Much of the stigma attached to electroconvulsive therapy is based on early, brutal treatments in which high doses of electricity were administered without anesthesia, leading to memory loss and death.

Electroconvulsive therapy is quite different today. Although electroconvulsive therapy can still cause side effects and complications, it now uses precisely calculated electrical currents administered in a controlled setting to achieve the most benefit with the fewest possible risks.

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

ECT seems insane, but it works. Nobody really understands why even after all these years.

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This thread won't age well.

Draft saved Draft deleted