1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carpal Tunnel is setting in

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Help!

My left thumb is freaking me out for the past couple of weeks. I'll be typing away and just have to stop and shake my hand because it feels weird. Not painful, just weird and restless like I'm unable to hold it steady. It's like a mini anxiety attack in my thumb/wrist.

I broke that wrist/thumb 13 years ago in a city-league hoops game, had surgery and now I think it's caught up to me.

It's really annoying.

Any experience and/or suggestions?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Not with my thumb, but I -- a few years back -- began experiencing terrible pains in my forearms (mainly my right arm) after I spent 20 minutes or so typing.

It was a terrible, terrible pain that would ease within a few minutes.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hope you get better Modaho, but I wouldn't sweat it. I've had that happen too, it will go away, if you limit you're keyboarding.

I know, I know -- easier said than done.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Slow down on the masturbation there, tater.

5. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Hey, Idaho,
    I'm not sure if this will help, but I'll throw it out there. A few years back, I started having minor irritation in my right wrist from all the keyboard and mouse work of editing/layout. My brother, a physical therapist, sent me a hand/wrist brace -- for lack of a better term. It's from Nikken, which makes a lot of products such as the one I use, and it has magnets of some sort sewn into the brace.
    I used it for awhile at work, and the irritation went away pretty much entirely. Now I only need it every now and then when I have a flare-up. Apparently (and my brother is skeptical of the science, but admits there's something to it), the computer is creating a magnetic field that causes irritation over time, and the brace helps offset that field. It sounds a little fluky to me, but the product has worked, so I can't argue.
    The company may have a product more specific to the thumb, or maybe the item I use would work for you. Let me know if you want more info.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I suggest seeing a doctor. They may diagnose it as carpal tunnel and then it can be treated. No reason to wait it out any longer.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Wow, come on. That's just too easy.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

are you sure it might not be something else. I had something where my hands felt like there were overstretched rubber bands there. It might be something which just flares up, like arthritis.... but I won't venture too much of an opinion since you happen to be married to a doctor.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yeah that was my first thought, too. i've been diagnosed with RSI which basically just means my wrists and hands and fingers hurt if i type for a long time. my first thought when i read your post was maybe it's something to do with circulation and not carpal tunnel. but i don't know shit and your wife is a doctor.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perhaps you should ask a doctor. Know one? Dooley does

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

This would make him the..........................mastertater.

Thanks.......tip your waitress adequately.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Chef will be here all week! Try the tortilla soup and enjoy Soundgarden on the stereo!!! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted