1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carmelo Anthony Means Bidness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 5, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No, I don't play the "has to win a title" game.

Carmelo Anthony is easily in the top five in NBA mentions the last five years. I don't think his overall game merits anything close to that.
    JMO.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Mentions? Is that one of those newfangled saber-stats?

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

It's because Carmelo is all about the stats. Has been for the 12 years he has been in the league. About getting his. Not leading -- about getting his 27 points and going home.

He's already got his ring, after all. Cuse.

4. Guy_Incognito

Does his NBA career make the title more of an accomplishment for Boeheim? At the time, everyone was just saying the any coach could have done it with Carmelo.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I don't think so. He is still an excellent player, but it was easier for him to dominate against college competition. Now, he just wants to get paid.

6. exmediahack

Boeheim is the Carmelo of college basketball coaches. They were a perfect match that year at Syracuse. Boeheim has often, often had teams boatloaded with talent that flamed out way too early in March, often because of a lack of chemistry. Not enough shots to go around.

The odd part is that Carmelo/Boeheim won in 2003 against a Kansas team that was a heavy favorite.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Same thing with Boeheim / Coleman combo.

My issue with Carmelo is strictly on a basketball level. He's been a one dimensional player that does not make his team
    better. The Knicks were better off before the trade.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Anthony is a scorer not an excellent player. Is he Gervin, English, Issel?

9. Guy_Incognito

Really? He had a number of deep runs to go along with early exits. Carmelo has been a consistent one or two and out guy. I don't see the parallel.

10. exmediahack

Four FF's (1 NC) in 38 years of coaching at the same school. Also lots of first weekend losses where the Orange were wearing the white uniforms. In a way, Boeheim's record reminded me of Roy Williams' 15 years at Kansas -- the years they were loaded, they would flame out early. The years they were the underdog, they'd make an unexpected run.

Boeheim has had about every conceivable advantage through much of his career at Syracuse. I've always thought his teams should have performed better in March. For every year, Syracuse would be a Top 10 team in December or January, they often bowed out early.

11. exmediahack

However, Boeheim has my respect off the court.

[​IMG]

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The tournament is such a crapshoot I have a hard time judging coaches too harshly on their early losses. All the great ones have them.

What stands out more to me when it comes to Boeheim is you can count on every few years him trotting out a squad that is a bubble team or worse and not really a factor in the conference race. Those seasons are much more rare for anyone else considered one of the "elite" coaches.

Draft saved Draft deleted