1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carmelo Anthony Means Bidness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

In retrospect, X was a better fit for that team than Smith and would have given them the scoring versatility that they lacked. However, Mase was on the floor when it counted and they chose the cheaper/tougher knucklehead.

I think the PG play from those teams was good enough -- Rivers and especially Harper the next year played really well. At the end of the day, Jordan was too fast for the Knicks PGs and John Starks (who is maybe 6'2") was too short to deal with him.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's a toss up but I just really liked how the team with X and Jackson came together in spring of '92. It seemed
    like The Knicks were really on their way to building something. X liked NY and NY really liked him when he made
    a name for himself in the playoffs. He had a bit of that Bernard King electricity when he got hot. Never loved
    the Dallas retreads of Harper and Blackmon.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Nothing was like Bernard King -- he averaged over 40 points against Detroit and probably 30 points against Boston. X was a good second option to Ewing. But the team did take the area by storm that first Riley season.

Blackmon had nothing in the tank when he got to NY and Starks was just a better player at that point.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re x and King notice I wrote"bit".

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The only FA who was impressed with the Lakers' presentation over the last 3 years has been Carmelo.Why does that not surprise me?

Dwight Howard left the Lakers for less money in 2013 and Carmelo Anthony returned to New York instead of picking them last year, though he was impressed by the team's Hollywood-themed pitch, unlike Aldridge.

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak not demoralized by off-season - LA Times

6. poindexter

7. poindexter

LongTimeListener and YankeeFan like this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd imagine it helps quite a bit.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Liut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted