1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carlos Delgado's agent is batsh*t insane

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, May 12, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I agree. The only way I see of rationalizing it is that the behavior of a player's agent is newsworthy. I don't think it is.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Great job by Graziano. [/simers]

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Moddy--
    You got to see first hand the dangers of blogs when the now infamous Jemele Hill blog popped up on SJ. I imagine that had a impact on your policy regarding blogs

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My red flag went up when I saw the headline, "Delgado's agent is insane".

I'd make him re-word for possible legal reasons (always better to err on the side of not getting sued, no matter how shaky a case may be) as well as for good taste.

Moddy's right. This could have been handled much better.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So's your mom.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

"IT ROTS YOUR BRAIN!"

Don't Tell Mom ... The Babysitter's Dead!

That movie was stupid and insipid ... and I never missed a second!

7. forever_town

That's one reason I'm against the idea of BLOGS!!! at my shop. It will mean more work for me because I'll insist on editing them before they go up on the Web for the same reason you did, Moddy.

And I'll allow reader comments on BLOGS!!! or stories on the Web site over my dead body because I'm an editor, not a babysitter, dammit!

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At the TD, comments sometimes got way backed up because no one was available to hit the approve button (handled by the Web folks, not by us). I told them to always err on the side of caution. Sometimes, comments would sit for a couple of days and then show up under the wrong post. A real pain in the ass.

I pulled something out of a blog one day because it was of questionable taste (but not really too bad). Copy editor, on deadline, missed it and it showed up in the paper. So I ended up on the carpet.

I urged commentary, edginess within reason, fun, etc., with the blogs (or Extra as I called them) but with the same standards for taste.

9. forever_town

My problem is that if our bosses were to impose BLOGS! (that's what it would be because I'm against them) on us, there wouldn't be a staff of Web editors to moderate all that for obvious reasons. It would mean I or the production manager would have to moderate BLOGS! because I damn sure am not going to allow unmoderated anything on the Web site. And we work long enough hours as it is.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I might be wrong, but didn't Sloane do something to piss off the Mets and Mets writers when Delgado signed with the Marlins?

Draft saved Draft deleted