1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carlos Delgado officially retires, does he get into the Hall?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 13, 2011.

1. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

He was a very good hitter, but he is not a Hall of Famer.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I apologize for starting this thread. It's no fun when there's no debate.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Hall of Very Good

He and Fred McGriff can look at each other in the mirror because they have very similar careers.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Meaning the top eight were AL Easters (Rodriguez and Posada).

5. To answer the question posed in the thread title, Carlos can get into the Hall of Fame the same way I could. Go to Cooperstown, stand in line, buy a ticket.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

While this discussion has been summarily dismissed, I feel it important to note what a quitting dog Delgado was with the Mets in 2008, when he suddenly regained his past form once he got Willie Randolph fired. Dog dog dog. Good riddance.

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Yeah he quit while he was fighting for his career and shot at getting 500 HR's.

8. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

Carlos Delgado=Fred McGriff.

Two very good players who fall short of the hall of fame.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Delgado w/Randolph as manager (69 games): .242-9-32-.321 OBP-.407 SLG
    Delgado w/Manuel as manager (93 games): .291-29-83-.374 OBP-.597 SLG

Qutting dog.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Would that mean that BYH is beating a dead Crime Dog on this thread?

Sorry, BYH, but there are so many other factors that could have been at play there. You're entitled to your opinion, but the evidence is not nearly as clear as you make it out to be.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He had an early season slump and a late season surge, but splitting it around the firing doesn't make much sense.

In the nine games immediately before the firing, he was 12-for-37 with 4 BB.

In the 13 games immediately after the firing, he was 9-for-50, albeit with a lot of power in those nine.

It's pretty normal for a player's season to have two wildly different halves if you split it down the middle. It'd be weird not to see a split like that.

Now, I didn't follow those Mets so there may have been other reasons to believe he was dogging it. I just don't see the statistical split as all that compelling.

12. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Delgado was a notorious 2nd half player for most of his career.

Career before the ASB: .270/.373/.526
    Career after the ASB: .292/.397/.573

Were his 08 splits more extreme than normal? Yeah, but this is a guy who clearly hit better in the later months of the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted