1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carlos Delgado officially retires, does he get into the Hall?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/mlb/story/14940503/former-blue-jay-met-delgado-officially-retires

My initial reaction is yes.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Without looking at any of his stats, my reaction is no.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Over Steinbrenner's dead body :)

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Carlos Delgado won't sniff the Hall, and shouldn't

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Had the same initial reaction, then I looked at his numbers. Add to that no titles, 2-time All-Star, never won an MVP. So no.

But that could change if he's never connected with steroids, which I don't believe he has been.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No. Sub-replacement defender, great offense in the worst possible context for great offense.

7. Mizzougrad96

I looked at the stats and there's no way he's getting in. I was pretty surprised, for some reason I remember him being better.

I thought he was well over 500 home runs.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't know if even Ray Schalk (fewest HRs by a HOFer by a position player) would get in if he played in this era in this voting climate.

That said, nothing HOF leaps out at me about Delgado.

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Looked at his stat line and immediately thought willie stargell because they both appeared to be cruising toward 500 home runs and just completely losing their power overnight to injuries. Then saw Willie was his best comp...however, there are a lot of reasons to differentiate these two in mind.

No hall for Carlos.

10. Mizzougrad96

Having 1500+ RBI is his only argument to get in.

It won't be enough.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

As good as he was and as consistent as he was, this Blue Jays fanboy says no.

As an aside, I just looked at the 2003 AL MVP voting as I initially thought he should have won that award (I don't anymore). Totally knocked me for a loop that Shannon Stewart finished fourth, ahead of Manny and Ortiz.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Three Red Sox in the top seven and three Blue Jays in the top eight in the 2003 AL voting.

Draft saved Draft deleted