1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carlisle SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by German Ethel Merman, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i think the law school is eventually moving up to the main campus. but anyway, i spent a weekend there visiting a friend, the town looked all right, but i heard there are some parts that have the same social ideas as the rural south (read rather intolerant)

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Penn State merged with the law school a few years back, and it opened a campus up in State College this year. The plan is to keep two campuses, based on agreements entered into by the university and some others.

There definitely are some backward parts of the area, but you're gonna find that anywhere in Pennsylvania.

3. What's latest on this gig?

4. boots

boots New Member

Word from the boots pipeline is that a trigger will hopefully be pulled before April.

5. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Word on the street is they have filled the writer gig they had open, but no word on the SE job.
    Won't say more since I am not sure all the ink is dry, so to speak.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Hoop's sources are right. Writer gig is filled.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've had some good times in that town too. There are fun places to hang, beautiful roads to drive, and it's still close enough to a lot of things that you aren't in the middle of no where. In a different stage of my life, I'm sure I'd have had a lot more fun the times I was around.

8. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Wicked -- I am not so certain, your name and mine don't match.

Someone told me Friday night they got the gig -- but not the person you mentioned in your message.

Do/Did they have more than two gigs open there? I had only heard one for SE and one writer.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Maybe they bumped someone up internally to fill the SE gig? I don't know who is left to take it, though, that would do as well as Jeff, to be honest.

My moles are gone from Carlisle, so my pipelines are drying up.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Travis Pickens was hired as the new sports reporter.

Eric Thomas, who formerly worked in Shamokin, was hired as the new Assistant Sports Editor. Apparently, there were some changes made internally to create this opening. He also will cover Penn State football.

Both good folks, both good writers.

11. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Eric Thomas is not good folks.

From his ridiculous blog bashing his employers at Shamokin (even if they were retards, you don't do that) to other underhanded, self-serving, back-stabbing, cry-baby antics, he's a dirtbag. Hands down.

And he deserved what he got when Sunbury found out about the blog - after they had agreed to hire him and he gave a two week notice to Shamokin. They fucked him over by rescinding the offer, and Shamokin refused to take him back. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wonderlic, this horse has been beat to a pulp on other threads, i.e. the Bloomsburg thread and the Shamokin thread last year.
    I know Eric just slightly, but I can tell you that he's a decent guy. I've worked for him. I've worked for far bigger dicks in the business. The fact that he bounced back from Shamokin says something about his talent.
    I've also heard good things about Travis. He was a part-timer in Altoona before going to Carlisle.
    If you wanna discuss this further on PM, fine. But to bring this back out in public on this thread is going overboard.
    And, no, I'm not Eric.

Draft saved Draft deleted