1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carlin and Coulter now on Leno

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It was on at the other end of our newsroom as we were sending the final editions, and I couldn't really follow it, but I did hear Carlin's tired, worn-out monologue .... zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I knew right then he had simply punted. Leno was sycophantic and obnoxious as usual.

Mr. Carlin, you are truly a disappointment to us all. ::)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Carlin was doing his job and plugging his movie...

Leno was the one who told his audience to be nice to Coulter...

Don't blame Carlin. The man is 69 years old and a legend.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ever since Carlin lost his wife, he's lost his fastball and is left with slow-pitch softball capabilities. But in his prime, would have been picking this generation of comics out of his teeth.

4. Starman

I'm still disappointed -- Carlin had a chance to plant a tomahawk right in that fascist cu.nt's skull, and he completely whiffed. Didn't even step up to the plate.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Subversion of the word block. Very nice.

6. Starman

I'm a well-known subversive, especially when it comes to fascist cun+s. ;)

7. dooley_womack1

Carlin in his prime would not have been booked to appear with Coulter. Leno's bookers knew what they were doing: creating a tease that they knew would metaphorically leave blue balls.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well put...

9. Carlin's in a tough spot there. He's spent his career railing against restrictions on what he can and can't say. (The seven words etc.). I'd say he was true to himself in that regard, anyway.

10. dooley_womack1

Fen, he could have used his freedom of speech to rip how Coulter used her freedom of speech. I don't think there would have been a betrayal of principle.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Carlin's whole schitick for quite awhile has been more social comment and playing with the language than taking on politicians...or lunatics like Coulter.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Carlin went through a phase shortly after his wife's death where he was damn pissed about EVERYTHING. His newest HBO stand-up routine is lacking the bite of the late 90's Carlin, and sadly some of the humor. It's like he's forgotten how to be funny without being pissed. This being said, he was on thereto promote Cars. If he were there to promote his new book or comedy special, I think we may have seen a different brand of George, but not so long as Disney is cuttingthe paychecks.

Anyone else have a hard time envisioning Lenny Bruce or Bill Hicks playing the voice of an animated car? Me too.

Draft saved Draft deleted