1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carl Peterson bashes Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The_Plan, Aug 3, 2006.

1. The_Plan

The_Plan Member

This was from the message board Chiefs Coalition.Com

They have a few members that received credentials to interview players, coaches, and in this case, Chiefs GM Carl Peterson:

DB: Your opinion of Jason Whitlock?

PETERSON: "You're going to write this down?"

DB: Absolutely!!!

(Peterson nods his head in disapproval and then opens his mouth to say something, followed by a 10 second pause... finally he speaks.)

PETERSON: "He doesn't know our players, he's never around. He can get paid to say a bunch of stuff but his stuff isn't accurate."

DB: He's like a shock-jock for a newspaper.

PETERSON: "Yes, yes!!!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I don't know about you guys, but I think it is DEAD WRONG for this interviewer to bring up another member of the media. I know he's probably not a legit reporter, and that he's probably lacking some experience and knowledge about journalism ethics ... but is he out of whack?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!!!

3. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I've heard Jason called many things, but shock jock?

I've met shock jocks, I know shock jocks, but Mr. Whitlock is no shock jock (unless you are on the other side of one of his pancake blocks ... then you can be shocked).

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

FYI Jason, because I know you'll be reading this thread ... loved your piece on Cosby a couple months back.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Pancake blocks? The only thing he destroys anymore is pancakes.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There was a great Cosby on a couple of days ago. All the boyfriends and girlfriends of the kids came over at the same time, even Cockroach. He and Theo painted mustaches on each other.

Classic Cosby.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And the stuffed French toast at IHOP.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or the wall at the Ann Arbor News

9. i don't have a problem with the guy asking about me.... he works for a message board... he asked the kind of question a message-board fan would ask peterson... no big deal. the guy asked peterson a question chiefs fans want answered.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There's an "around" joke in there, but I'll let someone else take it.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Why should Whitlock have to respond at all? I'm not defending him....lord knows he doesn't need me...but unless this becomes a national story, then there's nothing for him to respond too.

12. Conversely, reporters and columnists are accourntable also.

if the chiefs have a beef, let's get it out in the open.

having a byline or a coluimn doesn't make you anything but a guy with a byline or a column.

personally, i''d like to see more writers held accountable, but also the teams and players they cover.

accountabiility is everything is this business, whatever side of the ledger you're on. let's not forget that the teams, coaches, players, whatever, also hold us in question on many things, at many times.

if you do your job well, you won't be questioned. otherwise, you're as accountable as anyone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted