1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carl Lewis' ego

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by markvid, Jun 23, 2006.

1. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

Or maybe he has a whole lot of (lady) friends all across the country and he wants to make sure every one of them can participate.

2. boots

boots New Member

Yes, he was a punk assed mofo. something happened to the boy at Houston. He became a star and I guess we all became his bitches.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Even if he was on more drugs than Ben Johnson and got free passes from the USOC.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The other was a coach I might have to interact with again at some point in the future, so I'll pass on naming.

5. boots

boots New Member

I don't believe Carl was or is a druggie.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's a fact. And he wasn't the only one the USOC turned a blind eye to over the years.

http://cnnsi.de/si_online/scorecard/news/2003/04/15/sc/

Carl Lewis. At the 1988 Olympic trials he tested positive three times for small amounts of banned stimulants found in cold medications: pseudoephedrine, ephedrine and phenylpropanolamine. After first disqualifying Lewis from the Olympics, the USOC accepted his appeal on the basis of inadvertent use. Lewis went on to win gold at Seoul in the 100 meters and long jump. Lewis could not be reached, but his longtime manager, Joe Douglas, said Lewis had not taken anything to enhance his performance.

A banned substance is a banned substance. He was caught three times and not suspended from competition. Of course the IAAF can't do shit about it because the three-year statute of limitations had run out before this came to light.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Nothing--I say NOTHING--has ever been funnier than Charley Steiner's reaction to Carl singing the national anthem.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I bet you it was a track/cross country coach. Those guys have a habit of being very eccentric.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And while it's not BYH Classic, it is a classic just for BYH

Carl Lewis sings the National Anthem

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

More...
    Jack Edwards's NESN Bio lists this as his most embarassing moment -- Most embarrassing moment on television: Howling on the set during Charley Steiner’s lead-in to Carl Lewis’ national anthem.

Draft saved Draft deleted