1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carl Everett jailed for putting gun to wife's head

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Maybe I was thinking of Hendrick, not Murray.

I do remember when Murray got the game-winning hit in Game 3 of the 1995 World Series. Hannah Storm ran up to interview him ... and he ran right past her without breaking stride.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I didn't know the whole thing about Hendrick not talking until a few years ago. He was the hitting coach with some minor league team somewhere, and I was working on a profile of one of his former teammates who was involved in the organization I covered. So I was tracking down old teammates to talk to. The media relations guy at Hendricks' team was like, "Are you serious? Don't you know about him?"

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I started to post this on the Van Slyke thread before it was locked.

What locker room do you think was worse to deal with, that Pittsburgh team or the Mets a few years later?

The team I covered had a colossal dickhead (but good quote) as the best player. The second best player was a delight to deal with, but between the regular starters, the starting rotation and the closer, only three were decent to deal with and most of the others were colossal assholes or only spoke English when it was convenient.

I didn't mind the best player because he was an equal opportunity asshole and would fill the notebook and that was what mattered the most.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Baseball and football at least you have some options. You get one or two bad/uncooperative quotes among the starters on an NBA or college basketball team, and you're screwed.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I read a story years ago where a couple of reporters talked about Hendrick. They said he was a good guy and easy to talk to if you didn't have a pad and pen visible (or tape recorder), and he wasn't hostile toward the media members, but he just simply wouldn't talk to them on the record.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Hey, Bobby Bo was very generous with his time -- he was more than willing to take you on a tour of the Bronx.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just chillin, right?

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

"I swear to God if you mention the Cretaceous Period ONE MORE TIME! ONE MORE TIME!"

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't imagine having a problem with football. There's so many to choose from. One would think that would be the case in baseball, but unfortunately, I never found that to be the case. Granted, the team I covered had one star who would forget how to speak English to reporters and then the other Hispanic players would frequently follow suit.

I never had problems dealing with NBA or college basketball teams.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He was a twitch of the trigger finger away from bein a Queen song

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've never covered baseball regularly either, but my first MLB game was a random 1995 Indians game.

My first experience was the Akron Beacon Journal's Sheldon Ocker yelling and screaming at a (first-day) Jacobs Field security guard for having the the temerity to ask to see his pass. Still one of the biggest dick moves I've ever seen a reporter pull. Straight out of the "don't you know me!" school of bitchery.

Later, it was the tension-fueled clubhouse, starring all of the aforementioned media-relations standouts. I knew all about Belle's reputation, so I steered clear, but its almost as if I needed some dickhead validation from Belle to prove I was there, so I glanced at him and got a dirty look. I had officially broken my Albert Belle cherry.

Good times.

Baseball clubhouses are one of a kind ... usually not in a good way.

Draft saved Draft deleted