1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carl Crawford $142 Million Dollar Man

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Could Carl Crawford turn out to be one of worsts signings ever by The Red Sox.

Currently batting .133

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Texieria hit less than .200 through mid-May after signing his monster deal. If Crawford is sucking balls in June you may be on to something. Too early to determine.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Yeah, let's judge a seven-year contract on 15 games' worth of stats.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

[blue]I don't know if Crawford is a waste of money, but I'm already buying up Jed Lowrie cards. I figure I'm going to make a mint when he's enshrined in Cooperstown.[/blue]

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I never thought he was quite the player others did and if I'm Theo Epstein I wonder what kind of player he'll be in his early-30s as the tires have less tread and you take away a couple dozen hits per season on infield grounders.

But the Red Sox had to overpay slightly to get him and they have the money to fill needs that way.

I think it'll end up just like the J.D. Drew signing. He won't be as good as the salary suggests, but the Red Sox won't regret making the deal.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Crawford signing > Boom posting.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

He can get in line behind Daniel Nava.

9. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

This may be the case, but here's what I'll say as a Sox fan... when they signed Drew, I was not at all excited. I didn't see what they front office saw.

When they signed Crawford, it felt like a great day. Something to be really excited about. Maybe that was just due to the fact he wouldn't be stealing six bases per game against Wakefield and Varitek anymore, but I think he'll be a dynamic player in ways Drew has never been.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I think the question at this point should be "Is the Red Sox $160 bajillion payroll worth it?"
    The entire team, with the exception of of Lester, has stunk.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To be fair, Lowrie had been seen as a guy with a future at SS, but the injuries held him back. Nava was always just a "isn't this a sweet story?" guy. I hope he got to make out with Erin Andrews at some point though.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

There was a play in the outfield on Sunday that he was partly signed to make, and he missed it. Either he's pressing or just sucking right now. He was booed before a double yesterday brought him up to 8-for-59.

Draft saved Draft deleted