1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Caring coach

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ARD, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

I agree with the actions and words contrast. Look, the accounts don't depict the guy as someone who hit the kid, dumped him off on a player and said "I've got a damn meeting to go to." He, or a player with him, took him in to a nurse and a certified trainer. Most accidents have that only if a driver who happens to be a nurse stops.

Big error in judgment even if the accident wasn't his fault.

But back to the actions and words bit. Had he not been quoted the way he was, does anyone seriously think he'd be getting ripped nationally? MSNBC picked up the story.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

He said something stupid, no doubt. but if you read the full account, the guy did what most of us in the same situation would have considered reasonable under the circumstances. He left the kid in good hands, with a nurse. It's not like it was some hit-and-run (for one thing, the kid hit him).

3. A 7-year-old boy gets a broken collarbone and the guy doesn't call the cops, and that's what you think most people would do in that situation?
    He had to rush off to a team dinner?
    He never called again to check on the kid?
    I agree his words are worse than his actions, but neither are perfect.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You know, all he had to do was use 1/10,000th of a milligram of common sense, when a cop, reporter or anybody else asks you a question about it say something like, "I'm really sorry. I couldn't see the kid. I did everything to make sure he was with a qualified medical person. I sure hope he's OK," instead of ohhhh, something like "I don't have time for this crap; I'm 20 minutes late for a football dinner. And anyway, it's the kid's fault."

That's all.

5. Another point I haven't seen made yet is that he actually had the kid moved.
    Obviously a football coach knows you check out the injury before you just move someone.
    I really think his attitude was, "I don't have time for this crap. What's the quickest way to 'resolve' the situation?"
    He didn't even bother to carry the kid himself. He had one of his players do it.
    It's all pretty chickenshit, I think.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

wow, you and i must really disagree on what is reasonable.

7. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Perhaps we should also remember that he might not have known there was a broken bone in this one. And remember that this macho asshole probably sees injuries every day and just shrugs and tells kids to tough it out. And, as for police saying that the kid shouldn't have been moved, can't we agree that it's a bullshit concept. I mean, what if the kid is bleeding to death? It's common sense to help a kid who is injured. I know there are a lot of asshole coaches out there, but why must this guy be persecuted for a very minor infraction? I'll tell you why, because there's an asshole bigger than the coach, and that's the friggin' father. Notice that he has been told by an attorney not to speak.

8. KP

KP Active Member

You don't move the person, even if they are "bleeding to death." You apply direct pressure to the wound, but you don't move the person.

9. And a friggin' coach knows that you don't move someone who is injured.
    The kid damaged his car, according to the coach. He had to know there was some damage to the kid.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

and remember, this was a little kid, not one of his varsity football players. i notice on the high schhol's web site that coach douchebag has a little boy who looks to be about the same age as the injured kid. i wonder what coach douchebag's reaction would be if it would've been his kid.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

If it had been one of you assbags, he probably would have broken your jaw with a right hook for leaving his son sprawled there in the road because, apparently, you shouldn't move a person who is injured without obtaining permission from the U.S. Supreme Court.

;)

Draft saved Draft deleted