1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carillo out at ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought everyone knew she was out. :D

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really tickled me whenever Millen would comment that a college player has a chance to get to next level. He has proven to be such a good judge of NFL talent.

3. cortez

cortez Member

Maybe she's a Scientologist

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Good piece by Deitsch, who is one of those guys who has found a nice and handles a beat, media criticism, extremely well.

As far as the content, it's a damned shame. I have become a tennis fan, the last few years, try to get to the U.S. Open each year, and when I am not there, enjoy watching the coverage. The two best things going in the coverage, in order were Carillo and John McEnroe. They were just real. Commentary that was straight on -- whether they were right or not. They give their opinions, do it without malice, and are refreshing at a time that play-by-play and color commentary has become so namby pamby, not-adding-anything, and well, homerish.

I am sad to see her go. She has a number of side gigs, at least, and I will still enjoy seeing her on HBO's Real Sports, hopefully, where even though she gravitates toward some of the fluffier pieces (just being honest), brings that realness and genuineness (you get the feeling she isn't jaded and really enjoys delving into that kind of long-form TV journalism) with her.

Hopefully she has a good plan that brings me more of her in a forum I will watch.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Millen didn't just fail, he poisoned the water table. He shouldn't be allowed back around the scene, or he should have the good sense to avoid it. There's a reason Art Modell never went back to Cleveland for games as majority owner.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is NO part of the country wanting Matt Millen doing their games.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Correct. Talk about getting kicked upstairs, for no good reason.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Pam Shriver is still employed there, for reasons I cannot fathom.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Same can be said for Brad Gilbert.

Pat Mac -- Solid
    Cahill -- Great
    Drysdale -- Solid
    Mary Jo -- OK
    Shriver -- Dreadful
    Gilbert -- Awful
    Fowler -- Mostly solid
    McKendry -- Awful, always looks like it's her first day on the job
    Enberg -- It's always nice to hear his voice but it may be time to hang it up

I wish ESPN would hire Martina Navratilova away from the Tennis Channel.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, a lot of guys had a chance to get to the next level when Millen was drafting. Talent wasn't necessary.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Navratilova is surprisingly good.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why surprisingly? When she was younger, she was guarded. But around the time she came out, she became something of a straight shooter. Wouldn't you have guessed you would have gotten straightforward, honest commentary from a woman like her?

Draft saved Draft deleted