1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Carillo out at ESPN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Let's hope NBC doesn't fall down the same slippery slope. Carillo, McEnroe and Ted Robinson are one of the few three-person booths that work well together. I prefer their honesty to the cheerleading like we saw from Neintz Sunday in the Jets-Pats game.

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

If I had thought about it, I would've had Carillo at the top of my "People you like at ESPN" reply from the other thread, but then again, she ain't actually there, anyway, is she?

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, deeper in the article, Norby Williamson has no idea why Michigan fans get so pissed while watching Matt Millen. Sure there's that Lions thing... really? You don't understand how pissed off they are? That fans can have pro and college passions?

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now that's a little silly, to think a booth person should not be put on certain games

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Heard/read about this a while back, but if she left over the philosophical difference of it being the on-air cheerleading aspect, then good for her. Great analyst.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I see the point. If he;s vilified there, even if with the college/pro difference, why the fuck would you bring him back?

9. dooley_womack1

Because this is real life, and if you hire someone to be in the booth, you use him according to your needs, not according to what whining fanbois are doing. Some people need to do some getting over of themselves

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And I'd buy that with a small portion of the population. But he is the one unifier among fans in Michigan... Don't force him down their throats when he's not welcome and, more importantly, his opinion isn't respected.

11. dooley_womack1

But the game is being televised to at least a broad regional audience, if not nationwide. Fans in Michigan can bitch all they want, but I doubt they're not going to tune in based on who's doing color commentary.

12. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Does anyone, anywhere care what Matt Millen has to say? Isn't his opinion on just about anything generally worthless? I just don't understand this defense of him. He's one of the biggest failures and embarrassments in recent sports history -- why on earth and how on earth can his presence on any major network be excused at this point in time?

Draft saved Draft deleted