1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Careless whispers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Anybody else have people in the newsroom who wander from cubicle to cubicle, leaning in so they can't really be heard clearly, endlessly whispering/muttering, continually savaging everyone who doesn't happen to be physically present in the room?

(Or, sometimes, just if they happen to be a couple rows of cubicles over and can't hear anything except the ominous muttering across the newsroom.)

Or do I just work in a particularly obnoxious newsroom? Do ME's at other places put the kibosh on this kind of stuff or just let it run free?

FWIW, as far as I know, I am not on the butt-end of many of these sniping sessions. I also make sure not to participate myself other than an occasional nod or "uh-huh." Of course, I usually have work to do, too.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No, but the asshat in the cubicle two rows away loves to blast Wham! on his computer like it's fucking 1983.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, I'd fix that in about 30 seconds, and it wouldn't be in a muttered whisper.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And while we're on the topic...

Everyone says "I'm never gonna dance again, guilty feet have got no rhythm" is the worst lyric ever. While it is spectacularly stupid, I'd argue it's not even as bad as the lines that come immediately before it:

"As the music dies
    Something in your eyes
    Calls to mind the silver screen
    And all its sad goodbyes."

That is fucking awful. If "Guilty Feet" is the lyrical "Plan 9 From Outer Space," then the "Silver Screen" line is "Glen or Glenda," the work that is painfully unwatchable/unlistenable, but just isn't nearly as memorable.

Sorry. Carry on.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

CHOOSE LIFE!

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

cubicle. Good one!

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't want your freedom. ;)

8. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

J-j-j-jitterbug!

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You work with BYH?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Somebody tell me!! Why I work so hard for you! (To give you money, oh, to give you money)

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Where I have worked, this is called the copy desk.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You think what they sing in the cubicle is bad? You really don't want to hear what goes on in the restroom.

Draft saved Draft deleted