1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Careless Whisper - HOF Material?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, May 4, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

George Michael's "Kissing a Fool" came up on the playlist this morning and I was reminded of how versatile h is music was and the quality of his voice. I only wish I was able to go see him in person.

2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg New Member

Does your town have a park with public restrooms? If so, maybe there is a chance you could see him in person. ;-)

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Difficult to believe he wrote that song when he was only 17.

I remember in 1988 when he and Michael Jackson were battling for pop supremacy. Did not see him going off the cliff like he did; figured he'd keep writing and singing pop gems well into the future.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Like Heisenberg said restroom on the turnpike you may be able to see him in person. If not you still can get a Choose Life t Go Go sweatshirt.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

As much as the bathroom incident has turned him into a joke, George is an amazing song writer and performer. His Pop song craftsmanship is severely underrated.

I think he could have had the same career arc as Elton John had he wanted it.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think that, after the Faith album, he hit that point where he made enough money but was so internally tortured that he "walked away" from it. Commercially, he put out "Listen Without Prejudice" and, slowly, faded from public view -- until the bathroom incident.

However, of the 3000 albums that populate my iPod, I would put "Listen Without Prejudice" (1990) up there with any other piece of music. I found it to be that rich, that focused, that resonating. For all the sales of Faith from 1987, go pull up some from "Listen Without Prejudice" and take a ride to the depths of your soul.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not too crazy about that song, but Freedom was steamrolled by Pearl Jam and Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins. It's too bad, because it really is a great song and an amazing video. Just bad timing.

Draft saved Draft deleted