1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Careful with That Axe, Eugene

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, May 9, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

So, after dinner the other night, we're sitting around listening to music on our Pandora through our kitchen stereo.
    I've got it on The Pink Floyd Channel.
    On comes "Careful with That Axe, Eugene"
    I know she's never heard that song before, so I'm just waiting for "it".
    "It" being the Watters ear-piercing scream at the 4:59 mark.
    The sheer look of "What in the blue hell are you listening to?" was absolutely priceless.
    Needless to say, she gave it a thumbs down.

2. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I figured your real name was Eugene and you had another unfortunate toe mishap.

expendable and Batman like this.
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I know the song, so I just had to click through. I've gotten "What the hell are you listening to?" in both the verbal and eyeroll versions.

Ever heard the Flying Lizard's version of "Money" or "Summertime Blues"? They'll get you one of those right damn quick.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's on my Samhain Fire playlist.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Eh, give it Time. Or just Run Like Hell.

7. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Eugene is also a character in a late-60s Floyd single, "Point Me at the Sky." Has any band ever used Eugene in even one song, let alone two?

"Careful" is one I was a little surprised was left off Nick Mason's setlist during his ongoing tour.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I thought this would be about the Eugene by the Ace Frehley spinoff in the early 1980s.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

There's a reason for that. Eugene is the B-side on the single.

10. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I knew that. I never really listened to Point Me at the Sky much before hearing Mason's band play it. It's a very good song. Surprised it didn't fare better in the UK way back when. "Careful" does little for me. The band loved it, though, and kept it in setlists for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted