1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Careful what you stream

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Mar 16, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

The problem is, they will make it so complicated with legal vitriol that a 13-year-old girl will upload a video of herself singing to a Katy Perry song (which would be copyright infringement), the video will get 17 million views and then what? They just take the video down? They contact the girl's parents?

I could have sworn I recently read something that said the music industry was going to stop attacking file-sharers because the war against pirates is like the war on drugs: it's not working at all. But then this comes up ... good luck with that.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The labels now make money off that girl. They have an option to put their own ads on those YouTube videos.

BTW, stream what you want. They don't go after the users, just the uploaders.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think it's targeting "streaming" more than say uploading. Streaming in the sense of taking a live broadcast of a sporting event and running it live over the net. After reading it, it seems like they're more worried about organized crime outfits gaining a profit from providing streams. That's where the felony comes into play.

There also is a lot of heavy "anti-Bradley Manning and Wikileaks" type language in there too. And of course, suggestions to protect drug company profits from those evil counterfeit rings. ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted