1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Careful what you stream

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Mar 16, 2011.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I understand the music industry is losing millions due to copyright infringement and it is illegal to file-share and stream copyrighted works, but a felony? Any thoughts on this?
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20043421-281.html

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, some bilionaire corporation is yowling, so let's get right on the case.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

A mere proposal at this point, but it's stupid. Get back to us when you make some headway into putting someone in jail for the financial crisis, Mr. Obama.

And this isn't the biggest file-sharing/Internet story of the week. AT&T announced it would cap monthly Uverse and DSL usage starting in May. For those hoping to stream Netflix at HD levels while using an AT&T product, forget about it. And this has nothing to do with bandwidth. The cable providers want you to buy the $5 or more OnDemand movies from them.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I'd have to agree. We've got bigger fish to fry at the moment. Don't just put this on the back burner ... take it off the stove.

5. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

If I was found guilty of illegal file sharing, I would use that in court: Millions of people are still unemployed, people are washing up on the shores of China, not ONE Wall Street buffoon has been imprisoned or sentenced, and you are attacking me for listening to a Pink Floyd album that someone else uploaded?

You know how many people illegally download music? Way too many to count. What about movies? Same thing. Maybe if CDs were relevant (MP3s have better sound quality) and movies didn't cost $11 at the theater, maybe people wouldn't do that shit. Fucking government.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

So all content should be free?

How about newspapers?

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

How DARE you?!?!?! Those rich assholes have enough money!!! We can steal from them all we want!!!!!!!!!!

[/Det.JimmyMcNulty (the poster)]

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

About 99 percent of them are completely free.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And how's that working out for newspapers?

10. JJMace

JJMace New Member

Actually, you've got that backwards.
    CD's have the higher quality. MP3's are a compressed version of the music file, so they lose quality in the process. One of the reasons why I still buy CD's.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Have you visited the Internet recently? It's this crazy thing ...

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Newspapers are so screwed...if they charge for content no one will subscribe, giving it away hurts circulation numbers. THe main reason I got out of the biz.
    As for the file sharing, I do think there are so many more important things going on and now is not the time to work on this. But, at the same time, how do the record companies protect themselves? But making it a felony is lunacy.

Draft saved Draft deleted