1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Careful reaching for that Election Night pizza...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by luckyducky, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Pizza, chicken, pasta and meatballs, mixed veggies, salad, cookies, chips, pop and water in our newsroom. Same as it ever was. No problems, whatsoever.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

What a letdown.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Me, I don't miss working in sports on a night like tonight... watching the news side people act all harried and important... Friday night football is worse than any election ever.

And I was the one who ordered the pizza... I miss Bazbeaux's!

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I would say that Friday night football was not as tough as the 2000 election or the 2004 election.

Anyway, Friday night football is very similar to this and it is done far more often. News bosses don't get this.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

OK, I've got to agree with this. I hear sportswriters loudly bitch when the *FREE* press box food runs out at college games, and it makes me cringe.

Where does this sense of entitlement come from? Go buy a pretzel downstairs and expense it, for fuck's sake.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

20 pies came into the newsroom at 6:40. By 6:55 all 20 boxes were empty.
    Fuckin vultures.

Obviously they've never eaten the death dogs at Michigan Stadium

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Bingo.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Slappy, what the hell are you doing eating a dog at Michigan. Kettle Corn and roasted almonds are the way to go.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Not to worry. We had greasy pizza for second feeding at 11 p.m.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

From somebody who's crammed down his share of press-box hot dogs, I must wholeheartedly agree here.

News-side gets it by now, gang. You all should be lionized after every Friday night in the fall for, like, doing your job.

They get special treatment on election night? Well, maybe the people in charge realize that they don't do this very often. Football Friday nights are the nature of the beast. But some of you make it seem like it's something you never expected when you took the job. You have to do more late work against tight deadlines. You also get to deal with sports for a living. There are worse trade-offs.

11. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

I worked the elections tonight. There were less than 10 of us working, and we didn't get a damn thing. But no big deal. We all left and took at least an hour dinner break. All I'm saying is that if you don't provide the food, don't expect us to work through dinner without anything to eat. Fuck that.

12. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Due to recent budget cuts, we didn't have pizza this year for the first time a long time I'm assuming.

Instead, we had a potluck, which I found more appealing.

The problem was when some Sports guys would be grabbing some food, and they'd run into a newsie who's never been in the office after 5 p.m. and didn't know who the hell we were apparently. They asked us if we were press guys.

There were at least two or three people who commented or gave us dirty looks. But our ME made sure they knew that Sports dudes had every right to the food.

Besides, it was a potluck and a few of us in Sports actually contributed to the spread.

Every time someone gave us a look, I made sure to come back again and keep binging on all the food.

I think I had about five servings or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted