1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career-wise, how flexible are you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Unless family circumstance dictates it, I'll never take a job solely based on design. My stress level zooms when I have design responsibilities. I can do, occasionally well, but my personality isn't cut out for it. It's not healthy for me.

I've never, ever been as stressed out doing reporting. Not confronting a source, nothing. And I love doing beat reporting. I'm suited for it.

And I've said this at least two stops ago, but I'd like to move out of management when I can, and focus solely on reporting.

I feel stronger about that now than I did 10 years ago when I was starting out. I say that, though, admittedly knowing I'd miss the trappings of management (better pay, better schedule [in theory], etc.)

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I can't say I'll be in journalism forever. Too many other things I want to do.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There are times when I close my eyes very tight and pretend that working for a newspaper is still journalism.

When was the last time someone who mentioned marketing was laughed out of a newsroom?

And how often are newspapers willing to take a business loss to report unpopular news, just because it is the right thing to do?

There are folks who have ink flowing through their veins. It's sad that blood is often what inks the presses.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Sports, news, writing, design, editing, supervising, whatever. I'm always loking for a new challenge. Eventually that might take me out of the business. I just do what I do until I'm bored with doing it; then I do something else.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think that same thing as I listen to people talk about the fine art of making cutouts and entering SND contests.

Draft saved Draft deleted