1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career-wise, how flexible are you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Dec 15, 2006.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

Correct answer!!

2. For a long time, I didn't even want to consider leaving the state I'm in now. I closed myself off to a lot of opportunities that way, but really enjoyed the lifestyle. Recently, I've changed my thoughts on that. I'm a lot more flexible now not only on geography, but also on journalism versus non-journalism. I don't want to close myself off from any opportunity, and I have pursued things inside and outside the industry.

I've recently gotten married, so to some extent, what I value has changed because of the fact that now decisions are made in the best interests of "us" and not the best interests of "me" anymore. Don't get me wrong. I'm not getting any pressure from the new Mrs. CrazyCat to make changes.

But my thoughts are not so much where can I be a ski bum anymore, but how can I best provide for my family.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I stretch my back and hamstrings every day, but I can't do the splits or anything.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Due to some family responsibilities, I'm limited geographically in terms of where I can work. However in terms of what I'm writing or editing, I have no self-imposed boundaries -- only the boundaries/limits potential employers put on me when seeing a sports background.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I used to be able to bend my fingers back at more than a 90-degree angle from my palms. But that skill seems to have disappeared.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I will do anything and anyone for any reason at any time, any place and any price.

Except go to Martinsville. Desperation has its limits.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can still bend my fingers back past 90 degrees. When I was a kid, I could bend thme back to touch the back of my hand.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I would have said that I didn't put limits on what I would cover, but after attending the Sixers-Celtics game on Wednesday, I can say I never ever ever ever ever ever want to cover the NBA. At least high school girls know how to move without the ball. It was eight guys looking at the one with it and another ass-raping him. No thanks.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I took a job in Montana because it was the first daily to make me an offer. Now that I've escaped its icy grip, I vowed to never work west of the Mississippi again. So far, I've stuck to my guns.

Of course, I always thought I'd be a writer my whole career, but I switched to design and I love it.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I always thought I'd be writing forever, too.

Moving to the desk has gotten me further than I thoguht it would, faster than I thought it would.

And I vow never to work near my hometown again, dammit! :D

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Like someone else said, I would prefer to live near a MLB city, but my last two shops have been 8 hours and 4 hours, respectively, from a MLB city and it makes me appreciate going to the games more when I can only catch 2-5 a year.
    I wanted to stay in the northwest, but when it boils down there are only so many newspapers in the northwest so I just nutted up and moved across the country. At the time I didn't think I'd like it, but sometimes - at least when you are young - it is really fun to live in a brand new part of the country and experience an area that is completely different from where you grew up.
    But that is just me.

As far as flexibility, I have terrible joints and my hips tend to pop in and out when I swim. Maybe it is the chain-smoking, heavy drinking and lack of exercise.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'm double-jointed flexible when it comes to the job hunt. I'm talking the kind of freaky flexible that you see in college gymnasts. Kama Sutra flexible.

Draft saved Draft deleted