1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career-wise, how flexible are you?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Reading the Cleveland guy's thread, and thinking of some of my own decisions I've had to make, just wondering from the group how hell-bent you guys are on certain things: being a beat writer, being a columnist, working in Market A or only one of three markets, you'll only cover basketball, you'll only cover football, no way you're ever leaving sports, you're a writer for life, not an editor, etc., etc., etc.

I guess it just starts to seem with as logjammed as the profession can be, taking the road less traveled can, you know, make all the difference ...

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I can't imagine every limiting the things I'd cover or the places I'd live to cover them.

I prefer to do and see as many things as possible in this life, which is part of the reason journalism appeals to me.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd feel the same way if I were in Texas. But once you've seen the shores of Lake Erie, you never want to leave.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I will only work in a market that has the following four seasons:

Summer, summer, summer and summer.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hear, hear!

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm so flexible in my career that I'm not even sold on journalism.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Being flexible has almost been a downfall for me; it's meant I've had to start over several times because I'm not sold on just one thing.

Although I've come to learn that I do need a lot of summer as well.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Actually, I'll add a (slightly) unusual preference:

I only want to work within an hour's drive of an MLB city.

No, I don't cover MLB -- I've just always grown up around baseball, and I'd hate to live in a place where I didn't have at least the option to go to games when I want to. Doesn't even matter which team, necessarily. It could even be the Royals (Hi Oz! :D)

What it means career-wise is, I've never really considered applying for jobs in Montana, Mississippi, Iowa, etc. I can't really see myself working in those places. And I can't really say I want to, either. Nothing wrong with those places -- but I'd prefer to live somewhere near the 28 or so metropolitan areas that have MLB teams, because I'd be pretty damn restless if I could never go to a game.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I put some mighty big restrictions on myself pretty early in my career and it limited my growth and options to the point that I had to switch gears (from journalism to PR) in order to make a living.

Do I regret it? At times, yes. Other times, no. I'm glad I still have the healthy skepticism of a journalist and have the ability to question something I believe is wrong. But I'm also glad that my ability to change the wrongs I see isn't limited to either a Web page or a broadsheet-sized piece of paper. I'm also gald I don't have to be an "outsider" anymore. As a journalist, I always felt like an observer. There were so many stories that I wanted to be in, but I couldn't put myself in them.

I've had hundreds and hundreds of bylines. Seeing my name in the paper doesn't give me the same thrill it did some 10 years ago when I couldn't wait to get the paper to see my story. My thrills now come from seeing a neighborhood improve its self image or by seeing a company open a new store/business in my neighborhood or seeing community leaders break ground on a project I helped influence.

You need to find what thrills you. When you do, you've found your career. You may have multiple thrills in your lifetime. A lot of very important people have. However, having just one thrill isn't bad either.

OK, I just re-read that paragraph, and you can exclude the sexual thrills, unless you live in Nevada or are a professional in the adult film industry.

But the intent remains the same. Find your thrill, your passion and you'll be fine. If your thrill is just being a sportswriter, you should be happy writing about almost any sport on almost any level.

And if you don't know what your thrill is, you need to take some time to find it -- either on your own or with the help of your friends, peers and mentors.

10. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Considering the current state of the industry, flexibility is virtually mandatory. That includes jobs within journalism and the consideration of jobs in other fields.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

I know a girl who can put her legs behind her ears, and walk around on her hands.........oh......career wise........carry on, wayward sons.

12. Editude

Editude Active Member

Life circumstances limited my career flexibility for a while, but with Mrs. Editude and myself both in this crazy biz, we are open to a variety of locales and gigs. That said, being close to pro sports also is a factor.

Draft saved Draft deleted