1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Sep 17, 2008.

1. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

No reason not to apply.
    I don't know what kind of condition your place is in these days, but at most of the "big-ish" shops I know of, there's basically no outside hiring going on, and they'll give an ambitious, talented youngster all the work he/she can handle. For better or for worse. So if this is a job you want, you might as well go for it. Even if you don't get it, you'll get noticed for raising your hand.
    As for the "talking with the hiring editor in advance" thing: Obviously, you know the culture at your place better than the rest of us, but it seems silly not to (especially if you're going to literally hand the guy your cover letter). Could you just ask to "find out more about the job," or something?

2. Thanks Stl. And absolutely, I could talk to him.

3. JLaff

JLaff Guest

SVB, how badly do you want this big-ish gig? If the desire is there, the reward of (possibly) getting the job probably outweighs any risks of a conversation with the editor. Didn't mean to come off as condescending, but do a risk/reward analysis and see which one has a higher value. Worst case scenario, the editor is impressed with your initiative and keeps it in mind. It sounds like you've been a good employee, so I don't think that he'll think you're overvaluing yourself.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

sirvaliant,

I would not send a cover letter to apply for a job at my own newspaper. I would seek out the editor and ask to talk to him.

I might email him some of my background.

I would not paint myself as a long shot -- ever.

Generally, I think this is a good move. It lets folks at your paper know you are ambitious. At many papers, the powers-that-be are happy to keep folks in the same job forever, if they are willing to do it.

I think your chances certainly are a lot greater being from the same paper in the current situation.

Good luck.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Is this a job at the same paper or moving up in a chain? If you can't talk to an editor about an opening at the same paper, you're going to need to get over that fear. I don't see any risk of speaking with an editor about internal openings.

6. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Dude, you're probably getting this job because they know you'll accept peanuts compared to the more qualified applicants. If they're like any of the papers in my area, they're looking for someone who's passably competent and cheap. I'll bet you have a better chance than you think.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But he's already there and cheap. They might could get someone even cheaper.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Despite the fear(?!), he's in pretty good shape to land this "bigish" gig. Most hiring is done internally, so if he gets the higher-level job, his spot could be replaced (or not, depending) by someone even cheaper from the outside, since it's a lower-food-chain position. Lots of navel gazing for a walk down the hall or the stairs.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I still can't follow why this guy can't talk to the editor. Maybe things are different in Canada? Does the OP have a writing job with this particular paper by the way or some other position?

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

YOU'RE HIRED! (It's BumFuck East).

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I always heard BumFuck Egypt.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Maybe it is. I always thought it was in reference to a high school. You could be right.

Draft saved Draft deleted