1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bballscribe, Aug 18, 2006.

1. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

Hey y'all...quick question...

For the past 3 months or so I had been doing freelance work ever since my latest paper went under. I was doing freelance for the major metro here, Houston Chronicle, and for two other community newspapers around the Houston area.

However, I was recently hired as the SE for a sister paper of the community newspaper business where I oversee four weeklies that covers high school sports for two premier school districts in the city.

My question is, should I take the SE position where the money is stable--nothing lucrative, but decent--or try and keep my hand in with the Chronicle since that's my ultimate goal--writing for the Chron. My editor at the Chron said I couldn't do both since the Chron and HCN are competitors.

Yes the SE job would allow me to run and manage my own department while allowing me complete freedom to write as much and as creatively as I can. But should I have stayed as a correspondent with the Chron and just worked my way up there, even if the financial situation would not have nearly been as stable?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

any kids?

3. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

That's always the big question. Still single, I have a lot of flexibility with my career path. However, dating someone kinda seriously now, I'm reconsidering some of my job options for the future.

4. lono

lono Active Member

Your post is a little confusing. You say you were recently hired as an SE and then you ask if you should take the position. Which is it? Have you taken the SE job already or are you just considering it?

Anyway ... if the weekly chain gives you management responsibility and the option of writing as much as you want, plus a stable salary, that sounds like a much better option.

You can hone your writing chops, grow as a manager and in general develop into a journalist with more options a year or two down the road.

Another possibility is to go to your editor at the Chron and explain your situation, much as you've done here and ask him point-blank what your prospects are for a full-time gig. At least then you'll know where you stand and can make a more informed decision.

But don't throw away a good full-time gig on some vague hope that the Chron might hire you someday. Not in this environment of massive layoffs and cutbacks.

5. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

Yea I don't have any kids. I'm seeing someone seriously, I guess, but not to where I'll let it affect my job.

And yes, I have accepted the job as SE, but was wondering if I made somewhat of a blunder by not just being more patient. But Bogie's post made a lot of sense and was along the lines of what I was thinking.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'd find out if freelancers ever get hired by the chron. i know lots of papers that would never dream of hiring one of their regular stringers because why bother if you'll already work for free. it's not exactly fair, but it happens a lot. otoh, some papers like to hire stringers because they already know you. find out how it works there.

7. joe

joe Active Member

If you're not going to let it affect your job, it isn't serious, as your qualifier "I guess" would attest. Good luck.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fuck it then. you're too 'kidless' and too single to not do something you'd be kicking yourself in the ass for 10 years down the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted