1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career options for current and soon-to-be-graduating journalism majors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I like the idea of returning to grad school, but it's not much of an option right now. Maybe in a couple of years, but not yet. I'm getting married in July, and our parents, God bless 'em, have graciously covered our college costs, but once we cross that stage, we're on our own. We've saved enough to be comfortable, but would like to avoid getting into debt right away with school.

Call me or my school whatever you like, but I've never heard of a JD. Could someone flesh that out for me?

I am thinking of pursuing a masters part-time and online. I know it'll still cost money, but I need to be working somewhere and would like to be headed forward in whatever I'm doing, not just working just to work....although I'm well aware I may have to, at least to begin.

I like the idea of starting with a business and working towards the MBA. I do have a minor in writing....just kind of stumbled into it with some electives I was taking....so that could work out.

Thanks again folks....you've all been really helpful, and I immensely appreciate it.

(update)

Then perhaps I shall seriously think about it.

2. Fancy talk for law degree.

3. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. Did some Googling. Thanks man.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Ha.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There's work in the industry if you want it. It may not pay well. Correction, it will not pay well and the conditions may be horrible at the newspaper you end up with. But if it's your dream to be a journalist, there's an open door somewhere.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Always wondered why on earth someone would want to get married when they haven't even started their post-college life yet.
    That's just two kids getting hitched.

I mean, you don't even know where that life is going to take you yet. You don't even know who you are yet.

Choosing marriage over the foundation that will define your life for the next 40 years is, in my extremely humble opinion, an immature decision that tells me someone isn't old enough to get married. Life compromises come along soon enough; why rush them?

Rule that should be legislated: nobody gets married before age 30. At least that point you have some idea whether you're growing in the same direction, and whether you have a chance to beat those marriage odds.

I mean, this is 2009, almost. Nobody HAS to get married any more, nudge, nudge, wink wink.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Ballscribe...you wanna get married? I am free next Tuesday.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We should pass this because so many people who get married after the age of 30 are sticking together. (/bluefont)

10. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Always wonder why on earth people who don't have a clue who someone is would criticize the way they live their life.

11. Because people, and the societal institutions that encourage this sort of behavior, are fucking stupid. Major props to you for being a woman and saying this. You're in a very slim minority, and I'm talking 0.001% slim. I'm surprised you haven't already had your woman-card taken away from you for saying this. You're sabotaging the Get Rich Quick schemes of women around the country. "Shit, if things don't work out for me with my starter husband, I'll at least get paid in a divorce. $$$!"

Sneed, get back to us when you're paying alimony, child support and the thousands of dollars you spent on lawyer fees and court costs after going through a divorce. The rush for people to get married and spit out crumb-crunchers by their mid-20s is beyond me.

12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Here's a fun game idea:

Step 1: Come up with a lump sum of how much you think that would cost me.
    Step 2: Pick a deadline. How long do I have?
    Step 3: Bet Step 1 on me failing by Step 2. If you're right, I'll pay you said lump sum on top of all those lovely expenses. If I'm still married and happy and such, you pay me. Capiche?

- Sneed

P.S.

Draft saved Draft deleted