1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career options for current and soon-to-be-graduating journalism majors?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sneed, Dec 27, 2008.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I read all the state of the industry threads about how bad things were, and they gave me pause. Over the summer I really wondered if I should get into this business. But I knew I enjoy writing, and I decided to pursue it. It took me about three months to get a job, and I was lucky to find one relatively close to where I grew up.

I love it. I don't make much money, but with overtime, mileage etc. plus a low cost of living I make plenty to live comfortably and every once in a while splurge on something.

I would say go for it if you really want to. Good things can happen, the job hasn't been absolutely perfect (what is?) but I'm happy where I am right now.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't get the OP. How do you graduate from college while working as an SE. Or working full-time?

You should have an in with that weekly. Other than that, start sending out resumes. If you don't have an in with a metro, you'll have a hard time getting anything, but there are plenty of weeklies and small dailies that are always hiring. Pay may stink, but it's work.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Your rosy career outlook is that of 2007. Those days appear to be over.

Your best bet is to get a job — any job — and wait things out. This is not what you want to hear, but it's what is happening.

4. JakeandElwood

I enjoy this job, but I've already decided that I'm only giving this industry one layoff. If I get fired I'm going to look for something else to do.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Oops.

I'm referring to the OP.

If you're already in, stay with it for now.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a great attitude. Wish I had it.

7. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Thanks everyone. Got a lot of answers here I expected.

If I could pick any job in the field right now it'd be at a magazine or as a columnist. I'm the guy, a thinker, who loves the writing aspect of journalism and uses the reporting simply as a way to find a good story. I'm sure that getting there will require some paying of dues, though.

Definitely thought of the Wal-Mart scenario. Scary as hell.

The NFL coach fall guy might work. Benefit of that is I might get on TV.

Thanks again. See you all around the boards, and good luck to all you guys out there praying you're not the next guy getting laid off.

8. JakeandElwood

Hopefully I won't have to worry about it.

9. lono

lono Active Member

Here are some basic phrases to learn prior to interviewing:

"Grande or venti?"

"Leave room for cream?"

"Regular or decaf?

"Two percent or skim?"

10. Reacher

Reacher Member

I hate to say this -- I really don't like thinking it -- but the print journalism industry is not bouncing back after this recession. The only bounce will be a dead-cat bounce. It's over for print. There will be something left, but not much. Sort of like the radio industry after TV. Ugly and harsh.

Anyone thinking the economy is the main problem is delusional, I think.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Most of us aren't living in fear of that. If it happens, so be it. It's their loss.

12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

I wasn't entirely serious, but that's good to hear.

Draft saved Draft deleted