1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career milestone of sorts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, May 21, 2007.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, self-indulgent, but just saying ...

Got an e-mail from my first wife today, noting that today is our 30th wedding anniversary (marriage lasted just three years, though, one of those just-out-of-college deals. I got married on my last day of college classes ever; honeymooned for two nights at the world famous Clock Tower resort outside of Rockford, Ill., then returned for final exams.)

The point for the professional thread: That means I'm also celebrating 30 years in the biz as a full-timer. Because I accepted my first full-time job that same week, and started right after those exams.

The oddest thing is that after moving all over the place early, I've been at my latest place 10 years in August.

So hoist a drink tonight if you feel like it. If you think about it, people in my time frame have probably seen more changes in media over a shorter period of time than anybody going back to Gutenberg. Or that could even be a thread discussion. Was there a 30-year period where change happened even more quickly? When radio arrived? Television? Cold type? I actually caught the very end of hot type, worked with copy pencils and people with green eyeshades and conveyor belts carrying copy. I've made an entire composing room set down their exactos and walk off when I touched type.

I've seen things I've never thought I would, obviously much of it distressing for those of us who love the biz.

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Congrats. I can only I (and the newspaper industry) can survive 30 years in this biz!

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Congrats SF. I'd wish you the very best in the next 30 years in the business, but I like ya. I wouldn't wish that upon anybody. ;D

4. Recently hit 20 years myself. It's hard to explain to the younger set how things used to work, but my memory remains vivid. You may or may not feel the same, but in a way I almost miss some of the old days and old ways (some, not all).

Anyway, congratulations. Keep plugging away.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Congrats, SF. We never got to work together, but I've heard nothing but good things about you from people who have.

6. donaugust

donaugust Member

If you'll pardon the threadjack -- what's that like? Yikes.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well we didn't talk for years. She saw my mom in Wisconsin a few years back, and Mom gave her an incorrect e-mail address. She finally contacted me once about a year ago, and we've probably exchanged like three e-mails.

She lives three states away in North Carolina and is married to a VERY jealous guy who never liked me much. I'd love to see her after all these years just to see what she looks like now, but that probably won't happen.

As far as the biz goes, I DO miss a lot of the "old days." I understand some of it was wrong in the bigger sense, but newsrooms were sure a lot more fun in many ways.

8. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

you're old.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Indeed. But experienced.

Even my 19-year-old is starting to allow I might not be a complete idiot -- at some things, at least (I hope I'm not a role model when it comes to money, for example).

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

19 in. Nine in last stop. Hopefully, I can stay a bit longer.
    Many of the people I've worked with that are 30 years in, have been bought out, "voluntarily" or "involuntarily separated."
    You've seen unprecedented change. (Television in the early 50s your only rival). The three-to-four generations you've served are different in so many ways one could spend days listing.
    So, Salute!
    Here's to newspapering, that the term will live long no matter the medium. Here's to breaking a news story the old fashioned way, with boots on the ground. Finding the insights, the glance into people's lives, no matter if they're Barry Bonds or the rightfielder for Nowhere High or Nowhere State. And to the professionals in the business, that they may see the gleam in that young reporter's eye and be willing to sit over a beer or whiskey or scotch or Sprite and tell them a story. Someone told us that story. It's our duty to do the same.
    Again, Conrats SF_Express.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

This is exactly how every episode of "48 Hours: Mystery", begins.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Kudos, SF.

I think we should send you on a media/tavern tour of all your previous stops.

With speaking engagements at the local colleges.

Draft saved Draft deleted