1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career changer coming back to passion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by D Truth, Jun 27, 2006.

1. D Truth

D Truth New Member

Hello everyone, I am new to the board and have a question (I hope this hasnt been asked numerous times). I have an undergrad degree in History and I have applied to get a second undergrad degree in mass comm with a concentration in journalism. Would it be to my advantage to obtain a second undergrad degree and work an entry level job at the local paper or contact the local paper and just work the entry level job now? By the way, I do not have any newspaper experiance besides what I did in high school.

2. I've always maintained that you'll learn more in the business by doing rather than sitting in a classroom. Take the job now and the classes later (if needed).

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Good advice. A degree never hurts, but a complete lack of experience does.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

History degree is fine. Really, any degree is fine (and sometimes, no degree is fine.) Unless you want a second B.A. for your own reasons, don't worry about it. Probably won't make much difference in finding a job.

What matters is experience -- get some asap -- attitude/work ethic, and skills. Oh, and networking. As the others said, you learn more in a newsroom than you do in a classroom.

5. D Truth

D Truth New Member

With that said, is there anyone up here to network with in Richmond Va?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes. Not me. But yes.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

You mean Richmond, Va.?

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That was anal.
    And not the cheeky Boots funny type of anal.

9. D Truth

D Truth New Member

Yes, I mean Richmond, Va. I'll like to thank everyone who replied on my thread and I plan on contacting the Times-Dispatch and the Daily Press (if I decide to stay in the Hampton Roads area). If anyone have anything else to add to this thread that can help, please feel free. Thanks again

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

D,

There are some good people from those areas who are frequent contributors on this board, but I would recommend you contact the papers personally outside of here. At least at first, anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted