1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

career advice up in here?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, May 27, 2008.

1. spankys

spankys Member

so im 31 and i work at a 40k daily in the midwest. i cover a major division I team without the pressure of beating the major metro on news. i have a great boss who puts family first..ive never missed a thanksgiving or a christmas with my family because of work. the pay is good for a paper of the size.

now, i was just offered a job covering a major division I team at a much bigger paper for a much larger salary. professionally, it is without question the right move. it will presumably open more doors in the future. but it is in a city where i have no family. i would leave my girlfriend behind, inevitably ending the relationship. and i would quickly be swept back into the high-pressure grind.

so, is it bad that i am even hesitating taking this job? should i just suck it up and move away and hope that the benefits in the future will make nonstop plane flights and hotel stays and time away from family worth it? or is it ok to be comfortable with what you have?

my worry is that im currently settling, and that that is a sign of laziness. but in the end, isnt being comfortable and happy the most important thing, rather than trying to find a larger circulation paper just to say you work for a larger circulation paper?

i realize a lot of this is case-by-case, but any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!!

-spanky

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you are happy and see no reason you won't be happy in the future, don't even consider leaving. You are correct - comfortable and happy outweigh most everything else.
    That you have these questions, to me, gives you the answer.
    Stay put.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was working at a small paper, got a massive job offer from a paper nearly 20X larger at nearly double my salary. I jumped all over it.

There hasn't been a day past about the first month when I haven't given thought to how much happier I'd be if I hadn't gone.

Don't underestimate happiness, my friend. If you're making enough to live on, you've got the love of a good woman, and you don't think you'll kick yourself for taking a pass...take a pass.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Finding balance between your life and work is the hardest thing you will ever do in this business. Moddy will tell you. I will tell you.
    There are days -- like today -- I feel like I'm being quartered.
    If you have found that peace at age 31, keep it.

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

My gut instinct is that there's nothing wrong with staying put, but weigh some of the personal factors carefully:

1) Does your relationship with your girlfriend have the potential to go the whole nine innings if you stay? Soul mates are tougher to find than good jobs.

2) What happens to your comfortable work environment if/when the sweetheart of a boss moves on? Is the whole management structure that good, or are you putting all your eggs in one basket. So many of us have been in the the position of seeing Lou Grant replaced by Donald Trump.

6. spankys

spankys Member

wow my post's been up 11 minutes and i've already received a week's worth of good advice!

you all make great points......i appreciate it

7. How much larger is a "much larger" salary?

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

$1 million.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Not to contradict the spirit of the thread so far, but an honest question: When did happiness and ambition become mutually exclusive?

10. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Would she consider moving with you?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

In this day and age, it's worth knowing how your current shop would approach layoffs/buyouts vs. how the new place might do it. If it's last-in, first-out, then you might want to stay put.

But then, you might want to stay put for all those other reasons, too. Some of us live to work, some of us work to live.

I'll avoid anything snide, like how moving up to a bigger paper these days is like going to work for the bigger blacksmith.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They aren't, at all. But if you have one, and are not sure how much the second part affects you...why throw the first one possibly away?

Draft saved Draft deleted