1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cards WS win: The biggest postseason upset since Villanova?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 28, 2006.

?

Is the Cardinals World Series win the biggest postseason upset since Nova in 1985?

1. Yes!

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. No!

58 vote(s)
    93.5%
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Less imposing than the Padres? No way. I didn't assume the Cards were going to win it all. I took it as a given that they'd beat the Pads. Getting past the Mets was a surprise (even with the Mets' starting pitching being decimated). Once the Cards got to the Series, I figured their experience gave them a slight edge, and I thought they had a better lineup, tho the Tigers' pitching was certainly a worry.

Bottom line: Not even close to the level of Villanova-Georgetown. Temple's football victory at Virginia Tech a few years ago may be bigger than that.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Dooley, my hunch is that non-Cards fans had the Cards pegged for three-and-out, just like the 82-win Padres last fall.

Forty-whatever to three is fine. I still think this is the most unexpected championship run since Nova.

And maybe my idea is out there, but it's still more lucid than anything Spnited has had since 1877!!!! :D :D <----------fuck you douchebag!!!!

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Biggest upset since Nova? Hell no.

Most undeserving World Champion in baseball history? Hell yes.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Taking the place, of course, of the 1987 Twins (the team Cards fans have howled about for, oh, about 19 years).

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Undeserving? Bullshit. They won the requisite number of games against the requisite opponents, and there was no fifth down involved. No matter how unimpressive they may have seemed during the regular season, they did it when it counted. You may not like that (and why you should care to the extent that you make it sound like the Cardinals beat up your kid, I dunno), but dem's the facts. Like I said before, hate is such a wasted energy.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No. The Cards aren't undeserving... Actually, the 1960 Pirates were probably more undeserving. Or the 44 St. Louis Browns... or 29 A's

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or the team with the best record in baseball in 1987, the Detroit Tigers. ;)

8. But of all the teams that Georgetown could have played, Villanova was demonstrably better at playing Georgetown than any of the others were -- the two regular-season games were proof of that. St. John's beat them once, and then got roasted in the next two.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

By definition, the fewer people who expected the underdog to win, the bigger the upset.
    The Patriots were 14-point underdogs to the Rams in SB XXXVI. That reflects the opinions of hundreds of thousands of bettors on the most wagered-upon game of the year in any sport. Only in retrospect, when the Pats went on to become one of history's great teams, does that game not stand as a monumental upset. Among other things, it killed double-digit Super Bowl spreads for all time.

10. I skipped the first two pages, but I wouldn't even say this was the biggest baseball upset of the decade, much less of all time. What about the Marlins 3 years ago. Ton of rookies/young guys and beat the Giants and the Bartman Cubs then the Yankees.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There was no World Series in 2003

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just wanted to point out the tally is now 56-3. This is (insert college football team)-Temple territory here.

Draft saved Draft deleted