1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cards WS win: The biggest postseason upset since Villanova?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 28, 2006.

?

Is the Cardinals World Series win the biggest postseason upset since Nova in 1985?

1. Yes!

4 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. No!

58 vote(s)
    93.5%
  1. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Before the World Series began, some people said undisciplined, low on-base percentage teams are streaky. Like the Tigers.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

What the 1988 Dodgers accomplished is the biggest postseason upset. They knocked off two teams that won a combined 204 games in the regular season, and did it with a ridiculously talent-thin lineup.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought they were favored, that's why I qualified my last post.

And again: The Cards beating the TIGERS isn't the upset I'm talking about. It's the cumulative performance. Yes, the Cards have four Grade-A players, but they were still, by far, the least imposing team in the playoff field. And they won three straight series as the underdog to become the worst WS champ ever (record-wise). To me, it's the equivalent of Nova setting all sorts of records (lowest seed and most losses, at least until Kansas, for an NCAA champ) on their way to the national title.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Remember too, the 83-78 record wasn't really something to look at here. The Cards went on a horrendous losing streak at the end of the year like the Tigers did. Without that streak they're a 90-win team.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry but you can't discount that. If they win 90 games their championsihp lacks this element of surprise.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Exactly.

p.s. That poll now has a 38-2 margin. When's the last time SportsJournalists.com agreed so strongly the same way?

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Not on this board, they didn't. Seems like a lot of people are saying they knew the Cards had a good chance all along, but I don't remember a single person saying that before the Series started. In fact, most of the predictions were that they had no chance. Based on the expectations going into the series, this was a major upset. Not Villanova-big, but major.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Broadway Joe, I'll have to go through the MLB playoffs thread, but I do remember someone making that argument.

9. lono

lono Active Member

Uh, Fenian, heading into the title game, Georgetown was 35-2, defending national champs and in its third national championship game in four years.

Villanova was 19-10 going into the tourney, had to win their opening game on their opponent's home court (Dayton) and then beat a No. 1 and two No. 2 seeds just to get to play Georgetown. Nothing overrated about what they did.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Super Bowl IV. The only reason Kansas City was "only" a 12-point dog was because of what the Jets did the year before. Otherwise, I once saw on HBO, the Vikings would have been about a 17 point favorite. Minnesota was considered a powerhouse team with a sick defense that was going to destroy Kansas City.

You can certainly make the argument, however, for the Pats over Rams being No. 2 behind Super Bowl III.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sorry, but if you're going to claim a Super Bowl in this thread, it must be III. No debate.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

The poll is now 45-3 no, proving what an idiot (as well as a dickhead) the originator of this thread really is.

The only really connection between the Cards and Villanova is that LaRussa and Massimino are both overrated, overhyped frauds.

Draft saved Draft deleted