1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinals Rising

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 15, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I still don't think there's a chance in hell that St. Louis wins the Central. But they'll be 3.5 out with one game to play against Milwaukee. There's a big series brewing with the Cubs. I'd actually like to see the Cubbies sweep and take the division lead.

2. joe

joe Active Member

Cardinals beat the Brewers like red-headed stepchildren, outscoring them 28-7 in the three-game sweep. And are still 3.5 out -- and still below .500. Sheee-it.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

2.5 out...

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Cardinals fanboy here. I'm just sittin' back enjoy the ride right now. If the Cards make it to the playoffs, great. If not, they'll be back next year.

Really, I'm just amussed at the idea the Cardinals are within striking distance. Seems like there was a week not too long ago where STL lost every game by 10-plus runs.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

This is quite a tease. If they hand the Cubbies an asswhipping, I can consider it a good season regardless of what takes place from there.

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I still don't think they end up winning the division, but right now it's kind of like playing with house money.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I thought this was the annual "Arizona Cardinals are primed for a breakthrough" thread that seems to appear in August and fade by Labor Day.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The way the Brewers have been playing, I'm not so sure how much stock the Cardinals should put into sweeping this dog ass team right now.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Did we quit when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I'll shut up. You're on a roll.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure most Cubs fans considered the last 2 years great seasons, even though they manhandled the Cards in the season series.

And I've never, ever understood all of the Brewer hate toward a team that's been in their division for less than a decade ... unless its leftover animosity from the White Sox rivalry (FYI, we don't like the Sox either), or frustration that Chicagoans come up and fill all of the extra seats at Miller Park a few times a year.

What I can't believe is the Cubs are playing like horsecrap right now and are 0.5 out. The Cards haven't been great (didn't they go 1-5 against the Nationals and Pirates a week or so ago) and they've gained a ton of ground.

When I've followed the Cubs in the past and they've hit their traditional August free-fall, someone has been there to zoom past them in the standings -- in 2001, it seemed like the Cubs lost something like 10 games in the standings in about two weeks after leading the division by 6 games early in the season. In 2005, the free-fall began on Aug. 1 and the Cubs eventually finished well below .500 ... but again, the Astros & Cards won seemingly every night the Cubs lost. The year before, Houston couldn't lose and the Cubs treaded water until LaTroy Hawkins blew about 5 games in the final week and handed the playoff spot over.

This year, the Cubs are pulling the same crap, and they've *gained* ground on Milwaukee. STL has played .500 ball and gone from way out of it to in the race.

The NL Central ... whoever wants to blow it the least :).

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hmm. ... Uh ... no?

Draft saved Draft deleted