1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinals Rising

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 15, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Not to mention the fact that a franchise whose primary colors are red and white had powder-blue road uniforms at one point in time.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A lot of teams did back then, DD68. It was the 70s and early 80s. I can think of at least 10 teams off the top of my head that had powder blue roads.

I could say the same about your Royals wearing black these days.

3. Mira

Mira Member

OK, I'm being fan girl. Yes, the division sucks. Yes, Ryan Braun has to learn how to field and Chris Capuano needs to be taken out of the starting rotation. But don't dis my Brewers.

4. Bubbler

Whoa! Was that me who just took a shot across the bow?

5. Mira

Mira Member

The Brewers/Cards game last night was the reunion of the '82 Crew. When I saw this thread it bummed me out. I had to defend the Brewers. No offense to you, Bubbler. I was a huge fan and saw a slew of games that summer of '82.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If momentum is the next day's starting pitching, the Cardinals won't sniff the playoffs, and I'll be happy with that. Ben Sheets will come back, give the Brewers just what they need at the right time, and they move on.

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The stretch from blue to black isn't nearly as bad as from red to blue. Besides, the cardinals are supposed to have some sort of tradition.

Thankfully, as far as I know, the Royals have dropped the black. For good, I hope.

Anyhow, I can't stand the thought of St. Louis in the playoffs again. Please bury them, Cubs and Brewers.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Until he breaks again....like he always does.

9. Bubbler

So am I. I was in attendance at County Stadium when the Brewers won the '82 pennant. Greatest sports moment of my life and nothing else comes close. No one wants the Brewers in the playoffs more than I do.

But the fact remains that the Cardinals do have momentum and do have opportunity with five games left against the Brewers overall. It has been slow death for Brewers fans since late June and some of the decisions being made to right the ship haven't worked, or worse, have been idiotic (such as batting Rickie Weeks, he of the .207 batting average, leadoff in an important game last night).

Do I want the Cardinals to win it? Hell no, fuck those guys. Do I think they'll win it? I'm beginning to wonder.

10. Mira

Mira Member

Try living in a household with a diehard Cards fan. My hubby flaunts his Pujols jersey and it tears me up. The Brewers are definitely the heart attack kids.

11. joe

joe Active Member

To Doc and spup: GO CARDINALS!

12. Bubbler

You're blinded by hate, DD68, and worse, you're reaching. :D

The White Sox, Phillies, Braves, Brewers, Blue Jays, Royals, Rangers, Mariners, Cardinals, Cubs, Twins and Expos all had powder blue's at some point. Many had blue among their main colors, some didn't. It was nothing more than a trend of the time.

And if I were a Cardinals fanboy, which I am decidedly not, I would argue that the Cardinals have always incorporated blue into their scheme. They wore blue hats before the powder blue roads, and of course, revived those hats for the road games in the 90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted