1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinals reliever Hancock killed in car accident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Saint Lou, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

RIP

2. boots

boots New Member

People just don't drive into the back of tow trucks. I hope drugs or alcohol didn't play a part in this.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Either that or fell asleep.

4. boots

boots New Member

I'm thinking that too, especially after he "overslept" three days before. An autopsy will definite tell what may have happened.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Definitely tell what may have happened?

We can definitely tell what MAY have happened.
    Let's hope an autopsy can definitely tell what DID happen. That's why they do the fucking things.

6. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Hancock was a really good guy. He was a huge NASCAR fan and I was the go-between for him and Kenny Wallace last year when Josh wanted to meet with Kenny and take some laps in Kenny's dirt car. And of course, Kenny being a huge Cardinal fan (and with the Cards sponsoring that dirt car), Wallace was thrilled. Just a terrible tragedy...

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Folks, let this be a lesson ... driving drowsy is just as bad as driving drunk. I've driven home before with one eye covered because I couldn't focus with two eyes, and I hadn't drunk a drop of alcohol. For God's sake, if you can, pull over and take a nap.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

Has anyone found out yet if he attended Costas' fundraiser?

9. skippy05

skippy05 Member

In Hancock's defense, the area of the highway where he wrecked is a blind turn. It's an uphill turn that is blocked by buildings and an overpass. Especially late at night, it would be very easy to hit a stopped vehicle in the road. It wouldn't be far-fetched at all for this to have happened without drugs or alcohol being a factor.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

About people who purport to be professional journalists, yet cannot read?

Yes. It's damning, and I get pissed every time I see it.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Good point, Skippy, but the driver of the truck saw him coming and the person with the disabled vehicle had time to jump out of the way. Hancock never slowed down or swerved.
    You gotta figure he was asleep or distracted.

12. boots

boots New Member

Driving sleep is WORSE than driving drunk. When you're drunk, you can see what's happening. You just can't react. When you're sleep, you don't know what's going on.
    LET'S BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.