1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinals reliever Hancock killed in car accident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Saint Lou, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

This sucks, man. My best friend became basically a vagetable after a car wreck eight years ago, and it still messes with me. And I can't imagine what it's like for his parents and younger brother, who are all great people.

Prayers to Hancock's loved ones, the Cardinals organization and fans. This sucks.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Double true.

3. joe

joe Active Member

At least the Cardinals have a day off tomorrow. I doubt any of them would really want to play.
    Sad day for the Cardinals and their fans.

Edit: Read the schedule wrong. They're in Milwaukee.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

If my comments offended anyone, sorry. I just felt a little decorum after a young man died would be in order. But if you think it's fine to complain about losing the ESPN game, well that's up to you. Go ahead and rip me all you want, I won't be here to read it. I'm taking a short break from what is fast becoming a terrily negative board.

Carry on and God bless you all.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dont stay away long, Casty. You're right, decorum is in order. But also consider who complained about the ESPN game.
    You are one of the most rational people in this place.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This one hits close to home. Too close.

Hancock's family lives here (Tupelo, Miss.). His sister is our two-time girls basketball player of the year and a cousin works on a consulting basis on IT issues for us.

La Russa indeed did call the family home, about 4:30 a.m.

It's likely the Cardinals will be here en masse, assuming (at I must do at this point, anyway) that the funeral is here, most likely on Thursday.

I'd rather be doing anything on earth than having to cover this story. Damn it to hell.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Hancock overslept and got to the ballpark late three days ago. Many players started to worry about another Kile situation. He was quoted as saying he answered the "20th call" to check on him.

8. blueview

blueview Member

Watching the Yankees game right now, just going into a moment of silence for Hancock at Yankee Stadium.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Terrible news.

Seems like the Cards get more than their fair share.

RIP to the young man and thoughts to his family.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Somehow, I doubt anyone on the ESPN crew there is even worried about that right now.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No one fucking COMPLAINED about the game being cancelled.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

A little defensive, Simon?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.