1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cardinals reliever Hancock killed in car accident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Saint Lou, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

In my opinion, the Cardinals players are genuinely hurting. (We'll put the manager aside, or at least I will.) Family and friends moreso. And if it turns out he was tuned up, that won't help or lessen the grief.

I understand the impulse for a story--I screwed up bigtime as a kid, learned the hard way--but I would like to see more certainty and less speculation in the journalism.

2. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

I know you probably have a family member who is a medical examiner, or once performed autopsies yourself, but toxicology results from an autopsy often take a week or more.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yes, yes they do. Up to a month if they have to be sent somewhere.

But since the Lou likely has a facility, a week is about right. Which probably means Monday.

4. boots

boots New Member

I think we need to correct our earlier post. It doesn't take this long to release the BAC. Toxicology does take much longer.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

When they do an autopsy, they almost always just wait and release the full toxicology report along with the autopsy results.

6. boots

boots New Member

Not necessarily. An official cause of death must be made. Depending upon the jurisdiction and applicable laws, the ME can release the BAC and autopsy results.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sigh.

Why would a coroner do a separate BAC test and then release that when the autopsy requires a toxicology?

You aren't going to get an official cause of death until the tox report comes back, anyway.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Probably not.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

NEW YORK (UPI) -- In a desperate move to bolster a bullpen that is awful and a team that is fading away, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has traded Cory Lidle to the Cardinals for Darryl Kile and Josh Hancock.....

:p

(relax just having a little fun)

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

zag --

You can choose to believe me or not, but I am a longtime supporter of gallows humor on this site, as I think it has some value and is also in the journalistic tradition.

So I'm not really offended by that. But it also isn't funny.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, Zeke's pretty much right.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh but you are wrong -- finding new ways to make fun of the Yankees sucking is always funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.