1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Card game columns?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Jan 26, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I prefer a raging game of Bid Whist.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Prefer hearts, myself . . . but not the jack-of-diamonds version.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is that a variation on the queen being the bitch card?

I spent the second semester of my freshman year of college getting hooked on hearts. We used to skip class and play it in the cafeteria. I remember one epic game that lasted two-plus hours on a Friday afternoon and ended with one guy in the high 90s and everyone else just over 100. We were exhausted. It was awesome. I would kill to find a quartet (the wife plays so I really only need two more players).

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

And as for The Family Circus--I know this has been linked here before, but it's the sickest, funniest thing on the Internet:

http://www.theotherfamily.com/

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Each heart -- 1 bad point.
    Queen of Spatz -- 13 bad points.
    Diamond Jack -- 10 GOOD points.
    Very tricky . . . and a wrinkle beneficial to good players, of which I am not one.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Group 8 is one of the foulest collections I've ever had the pleasure to read.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I may be misremembering, but in the classic National Lampoon newspaper spoof (The Dacron Republican-Democrat, or something like that), one of the jokes was how the bridge/chess/something like that columnist wrote whatever popped into his head because he knew no one was reading it.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The euchre games at my school (Indiana U) were legendary. The intramural euchre tourney might have been bigger than basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted